cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISR3925 reloads intermittantly more and more with address error at PC 0x4036C80, address 0x94BE9A06

Hi all,

Thanks for viewing my post.  I have a pretty severe situation where two of my Cisco 3925 routers reload themselves intermittantly.  There is no crash dump file and with all my debugging turned on I am yet to find out the exact reason.

The only info I see to give me any indication is the following;

show ver
Cisco IOS Software, C3900 Software (C3900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(4)M2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Sysems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 07-Nov-12 17:00 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 15.0(1r)M16, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

er1.gwes uptime is 11 minutes
System returned to ROM by address error at PC 0x4036C80, address 0x94BE9A06 at 17:36:07 SAST Sat Mar 14 2015
System image file is "flash0:c3900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M2.bin"
Last reload type: Normal Reload
Last reload reason: address error at PC 0x4036C80, address 0x94BE9A06

My CPU runs at avg around 45% now, after I've noticed the BGP Scanner leading the pack running the CPU at 100%.  However prior to all my intermittant reloads this router had an uptime of 300+ days.  Then all of sudden this started, I had some major BGP peer updates but I've reconfigured the router to only receive the transit provider's AS plus one AS away.  This brought the router load down dramatically.  

However I cannot get any solid info as to why both my routers will reload with the exact same address errors.  They were bought before my time at the company and they have the exact same hardware.

Thanks for reading this.

Regards,

Johann Smith

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Average CPU of 45% is pretty high for a 3900 series router.

Also for below error message you should open a ticket with TAC and send them the output, so they can help you resolve the issue. Also, if you can, send the logs to a syslog server and check them before and after the reboot.  Most likely TAC would want to see them as well.

address error at PC 0x4036C80, address 0x94BE9A06

HTH

Thanks Reza,

I've spoken to Cisco and my service provider and are awaiting their response.  However if I can get as much input from various parties it is always welcome.

Syslogs are running but there is no information of any value.  Since my post I've now run the 'show stacks' command which creates a dump file, I did this over the course of around 2 hours.  I'm pulling these dumps files off the device now and will send them over to Cisco as well as using the output interpreter tool.  

Regards,

Johann Smith

Ashok Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Seems like you're hitting the below bug - 

CSCua12317 : Configuring object group crashes router

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCua12317

Symptoms: The Cisco 3900 router resets when configuring Object Group/ACL when
there is traffic on the interface where an ACL match is needed.

Conditions: This symptom is observed with the following conditions: 

1) The ACL definition should have service OG ACE.
2) Reconfigure the service OG ACE or delete it.
3) Traffic should be passing on the interface where the OG is applied when the
above operation is performed.

Workaround:
1)Configure a new ACL with the changes needed and apply it to the interface of
interest, instead of modifying the already applied one. This is recommended
when configuration change is needed.
2) Remove ACL checks on the interface when changing the configuration ("no ip
access-group..").

Known Fixed Releases:
(13)
15.1(4)M5.4
15.1(4)M6
15.2(1)T3.2
15.2(1)T4
15.2(1.2.3)PI22
15.2(3)T2.1
15.2(3)T3
15.2(4)M2.3
15.2(4)M3
15.2(4)XB11

- Ashok

******************************************************************************************************

Please rate the post or mark as correct answer as it will help others looking for similar information

******************************************************************************************************

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card