Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router 4331 with home router

ayysangpham
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

I have a Cisco Router 4331 with an 8-port switch module. My currently ISP is starlink and receiving IP by DHCP. I want to connect my home router that is currently providing all my wifi. I want to run it through this router instead of connecting it directly because of the current infrastructure in place. This router currently provides internet through another network. I want both my other network and home network to go out to the internet on the same interface.

1. should i connect the home router into one of the switch-ports and trunk it? what settings would I need for traffic to flow from the switch port to my ISP gig interface?

2. should i connect it to one of the routers gi interfaces.

3. i dont have much experience with configuring these routers, but i assume if i go with option 2 that it would include setting an ip for my inside interface, NAT, and ip routes.

Any assistance with where i should start will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Andre

7 Replies 7

@ayysangpham hi, without understanding about current configuration, its difficult to guide with those options. can you share current configuration of main router and small map how devices are connected.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

totally correct 
we need simple topology here 

BUT 
do I need NAT ? Yes you need NATing 
how can I make this home router is GW to internet ? If the SW is L3 you need only default route toward this home router, if the SW is L2 then you need to push this home router IP as default-router IP via DHCP to all host. 

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @ayysangpham,

--Connect your home router to one of the gigabit interfaces on the Cisco Router 4331,

--Configure the gigabit interface on the Cisco Router 4331 with an IP address in a separate subnet from your other network,

--Configure NAT on the Cisco Router 4331 to translate the source IP addresses of your home network to the IP address of the gigabit interface,

--Set up IP routes on the Cisco Router 4331 to ensure that traffic from your home network is routed to the ISP gigabit interface,

--Configure your home router with an IP address in the same subnet as the gigabit interface on the Cisco Router 4331,

--Set the default gateway on the home router to the IP address of the gigabit interface.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

i configured on home network on my switch module and created a vlan 100. I gave that interface access to vlan 100 and set the default gateway ip for vlan 100. My ISP is on Gi0/0/1 and my second network is on gi0/0/2. my ISP ip is DHCP and my home network is 192.168.14.1 and my private lan under the home network is 192.168.0.1. right now i can ping my home router from the Cisco router. I think what i am missing is an ip route that routes my home/private lan to my ISP. i am not too great at IP routes, if i could get some examples of commands to input. my router currently has a bunch of different extended access list as well.

ayysangpham
Level 1
Level 1

basic top.PNG

This is my basic topology.

basic top.PNG

Hello @ayysangpham,

As I suggest to you:

M02rt37_1-1688989488026.png

--Connect your home router to one of the gigabit interfaces on the Cisco Router 4331,

--Configure the gigabit interface on the Cisco Router 4331 with an IP address in a separate subnet from your other network,

--Configure NAT on the Cisco Router 4331 to translate the source IP addresses of your home network to the IP address of the gigabit interface,

--Set up IP routes on the Cisco Router 4331 to ensure that traffic from your home network is routed to the ISP gigabit interface,

--Configure your home router with an IP address in the same subnet as the gigabit interface on the Cisco Router 4331,

--Set the default gateway on the home router to the IP address of the gigabit interfa

--Set up static IP routes on the Cisco Router 4331 to ensure that traffic from outside go back to your home network

--Set up default ip route on the Cisco Router 4331 to dhcp to ensure that traffic from home network go to ouside

--Set up default ip route to ISR Gi 0/0/3 to ensure that traffic from your LAN go to your ISR home router

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card