Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router ppp Third party Firewall

erloumiguel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Configuring point to point on a cisco router 1921 to fortigate firewall is technically possible right?

Do I still need to do the authentication? or encapsulation ppp command should work already?

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can not speak to the fortigate side of it, but configuring a serial interface on the Cisco 1921 with encapsulation ppp, and not configuring authentication should work fine.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Richard,

Thanks! btw will this only work on Serial? how about Ethernet interface?

Regrads,

Miguel

Miguel

Ethernet interface does not support encapsulation ppp.

Perhaps we need a better understanding of what you are trying to do and what your question really is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Richard,

There will be a firewall in DR site and Cisco router 1921 in Production site, Since the router is IP base, I need to configure a point to point connection between sites.

The Cisco router 1921 will forward all outgoing traffic of users from production site to DR to access internet.

Regards,

Erlou Miguel

Miguel

Thank you for the additional information. But I am still not understanding clearly what your question really is. If the 1921 will be in the production site and needs to communicate with a firewall in DR site then how will the 1921 connect to the firewall? Will it have its own dedicated connection? Will it share a connection between sites?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Richard,

There will be a lease connection from the ISP connecting these two sites.

Internet<-----Firewall --------ISP Leased Circuit--------Router 1921

So there will be two lines in the DR site.

FW:

1 for Internet - WAN port

1 for the leased circuit. - LAN Port

Regards,

Erlou Miguel

Miguel

So if the firewall at the DR site will treat the connection to the 1921 as a LAN port does that indicate that this will be an Ethernet connection?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello,

Yes Richard. Thats right. So basic config on interface will do and no need for encapsulation PPP right?

Regards,

Erlou Miguel

Miguel

As far as I can determine there is no need to configure encapsulation PPP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your advise. Will try that one.

Regards,

Erlou Miguel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: