cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router Suggestion

svirtuoso
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys im new here, not sure if im posting in the right area... here i go.

So ive got a wired connection (fibre 100mb/50mb) connected to my Cisco DPQ3212 works great, however i have 3 other PCs that need internet also

i was looking at the Cisco RVS4000 model good budget router, dont need wireless so it looks good, is there anything better (preferably by cisco) that can do the job? and is capable of outputting the full 100mb down and 50mb up?

thanks!

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use an 861, or 881 for that.

and is capable of outputting the full 100mb down and 50mb up?

Out of curiousity Paolo, but can the 860 or 880 this much bandwidth?

leolaohoo wrote:

and is capable of outputting the full 100mb down and 50mb up?

Out of curiousity Paolo, but can the 860 or 880 this much bandwidth?

Not last time I looked. :-) The Router performance metric sheet from Cisco lists the 860 series at 12.8 Mb/s and the 880 at 25.6 Mb/s.

To get 150 Mb/s (100 down, 50 up) you'd need to go to a 1941 G2 or maybe a 2901 G2.

As I'm sure you already know, Leo. :-)

As I'm sure you already know, Leo. :-)

I do Darren.  I just thought "Uh-oh, Paolo knows something" and decided to check.

Sure I have have been a little too much on the low side especially for the 860, however considering that Cisco indicate throughput using 64Bytes packets:

All numbers are for IP packets only - no IPX/AT/DEC, etc. - Mbps calculated by pps * 64bytes * 8bits/byte;

Thas it not matching the reality of Internet. Assuming instead an average of 256 Bytes per packet, an 880 router will do 100 Mbps, and an 890 200Mbps. That's why I said that one might find they will do the job.

Paolo Bevilacqua wrote:

Sure I have have been a little too much on the low side especially for the 860, however considering that Cisco indicate throughput using 64Bytes packets:

All numbers are for IP packets only - no IPX/AT/DEC, etc. - Mbps calculated by pps * 64bytes * 8bits/byte;

Thas it not matching the reality of Internet. Assuming instead an average of 256 Bytes per packet, an 880 router will do 100 Mbps, and an 890 200Mbps. That's why I said that one might find they will do the job.

Yeah, but that also assumes you're not doing NAT or anything complex with ACL's - and since the OP stated that he wants to have three or four PC's behind this router, it's almost certain he's going to do NAT to make it work.

Realistically, there's no way an 860 or 880 will handle 150 Mb/s total throughput with NAT. I'm with Leo 100% on this one.

can the 860 or 880 provide full 100mb down and 50mb up?

Not a chance.

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Shady Virtuoso wrote:

Yes and no.

In an ideal situation, both the 860 and 880 are documented as being able to forward 197 and 198 Mbps, respectively.

In less than an ideal situation, no they cannot.

As pointed out in other posts, much depends on what features you might use against the packets and what the traffic looks like.  There's also the question, do you really want, and pay for, a box that can guarantee 100% performance under any condition up to maximum link loading?

For your 100/50, Cisco recommends a 2951 for 75 (duplex) WAN bandwidth.  In the same document, an 860 is recommended only for 4 Mbps and a 880 for 8 Mbps.

I've attached a copy of the document I've pulled the above recommendations from.  It well explains, and documents, various usage issues.  Keep in mind you can size a device for your expected load rather than maximum possible load.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card