cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router to cope with new 1 & 2 gigabit service offerings by cable companies

aalbert69
Level 1
Level 1

I have successfully rolled out approx 600  800, 1900, and ASA's into residential environments..  In general we put the 881 into residences, and reliably hit the high 80s, low 90s on speedtest.net .... with the 1921 and ASAs we are able to hit the existing 130 meg that Comcast can bump up to. 

The big question is now that Comcast is offering 1 and 2 gig service, what router or ASA can keep up with those two different speed tiers, but still be in a semi affordable price point for high end residence ($1-2k is very doable, $2-5k is a lot harder sell, and $10-15k is a blue moon)?  Our typical IOS based router has ACLs and in both cases we are NAT'd, with anywhere between 10 and 200 devices on the network).

So I am looking for real world experiences with Cisco products using high speed WAN connections from Cable company and other high speed providers.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco routers supporting gig performance jump quite a bit in price - from what you've asked, that might be your biggest problem.

Leo's suggestion of a 4451 is good, but I don't think you'll get one for one to two K.

Cisco's router's can hit some much higher than their recommended-for-performance, but it's truly a "you mileage may vary" situation.

I've attached a Cisco ISR performance whitepaper, which you might be able to compare with your experience with the 881 and 1921 (especially table 5 - which seems close to what you've seen), for selecting a router that can deal with gig rates.  Unfortunately, this document predates the 4400 ISR series.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card