cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router vs Cisco Meraki Mx 84

prince892
Level 1
Level 1

hi Everyone i need to know and i searched in google but didn't find any specific information 

i want to need help to know about 

is Cisco Meraki Mx84 is Layer 3 device or ???

what is big different between Cisco Router like 2600,2800,2811.xx  Vs Cisco Meraki Security Appliance Mx84 ..mean 

what we cannot do in Cisco Router vs Meraki && what we can do Cisco Router vs Cisco Meraki thanks for your help i need

help in explanation will be best

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

@prince892 wrote:

hi Everyone i need to know and i searched in google but didn't find any specific information 

what is big different between Cisco Router like 2600,2800,2811.xx  Vs Cisco Meraki Security Appliance Mx84 ..mean 

what we cannot do in Cisco Router vs Meraki && what we can do Cisco Router vs Cisco Meraki thanks for your help i need

Meraki MX are UTM devices and are cloud based GUI administered , They perform not only routing (ospf, bgp vpn, static) but also SD-WAN, VPN, L3/l7 functions- threat management, intrusion protection,content filtering with some models  also able to function as Wifi Access-points.

Cisco 2600, 2800 rtrs are pure hardware CLI administered rtrs. They are EOL now but are are capable of supporting the full routing capabilities, (static,RIP,OSPFv2-/3, Eigrp, BGP, ISIS, multicast, They can also run  a software FW (ZBFW) and intrusion protection,prevention (IPs) functions

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

First of all there are 2 different devices with different roles.
Sur MX84 can do layer 3 routing

static routes

only whereas 2811 can do dynamic routing.
2811 is a router with a bit less than 70Mbps of throughput.
MX84 is a layer 7 firewall with 500 Mbps throughput (statefull firewall) and 250Mbps for VPN.

Meraki addresses a security concern by having url filtering, next gen features (including amp) where 2811 isn't capable of doing such things.
Depending on what you're trying to achieve, both have totally different roles.

Also 2811 is end of support and Meraki service is still supported.

What are you trying to achieve?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hello

@prince892 wrote:

Meraki MX are UTM devices and are cloud based GUI administered , They perform not only routing (ospf, bgp vpn, static) but also SD-WAN, VPN, L3/l7 functions- threat management, intrusion protection,content filtering with some models  also able to function as Wifi Access-points.

Cisco 2600, 2800 rtrs are pure hardware CLI administered rtrs. They are EOL now but are are capable of supporting the full routing capabilities, (static,RIP,OSPFv2-/3, Eigrp, BGP, ISIS, multicast, They can also run  a software FW (ZBFW) and intrusion protection,prevention (IPs) functions

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card