cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco website Error

joshgarmon116
Level 1
Level 1

On the Cisco page of EIGRP, it totally leaves out the formula/explanation for where it got the REPORTED Distance from.

In this case, it's 307200.

This is very frustrating because it seems no matter what source material I use, things are left out.

21 Replies 21

What does "sh ip eigrp neighbors" show ?

Jon

nothing at all

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you ping the routers from each other ?

If so it sounds like a problem with GNS3 as there is nothing wrong with your configs.

What IOS version and feature set are you using ?

Jon

Nope, can't ping anything other than the serial links...nothing for the loopback in my Routing Tables.

I'm thinking it's a GNS3 error too. There seems to be alot of limitations to this program. Half of the hyper visors (images) don't even work.

I did a SH VERSION and it says the IOS SOFTWARE is 7200 and the VERSION is 12.2 (33) SRC1, whatever that means.

Don't worry about it any longer...I just wanted to try it.

Joshua

Okay, does seem to be GNS3.

Not sure why it isn't working. I have used it before and it was pretty reliable.

Are you sure it isn't a memory/CPU issue ?

Did you do the memory value thing when you first started an IOS ?

Jon

what's the memory value thing? i don't know what that is

i passed my ICDN1 and ICDN2 but i still don't know that much about Cisco Routing and Switching

i'm studying EIGRP right now and just wanted to try that topology on that blog site but it's just wasting my time right now so don't worry about it

thanks

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what's the memory value thing? i don't know what that is

I haven't used GNS3 for a while but when you first start with an IOS the CPU goes up to almost 100% and stays there.

What you then need to do is find an idle value and enter this into your GNS3 config. This dramatically reduces the cpu usage used per IOS image and allows you to run multiple routers.

If it is still the same ie. you need to set this value and you haven't then i suspect most of the issues you are seeing is down to that providing you have enough memory as each IOS needs a certain amount of memory.  Like i say GNS is pretty reliable so it does suggest that may be the issue. If the CPU is running at almost full capacity it is not surprising things are not working.

The easy way to check is start up GNS3 and see what the CPU is doing.

i'm studying EIGRP right now and just wanted to try that topology on that blog site but it's just wasting my time right now so don't worry about it

I understand your frustration but it really is worth doing these things as you learn so much more.

There are a few people on these forums who use GNS3 and like i say i have in the past so it may be something relatively simple to get going.

It may not be that but it would be worth looking into it.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card