cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO881-SEC-K9 eol what is the replacement

Bart Smit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, per juli 2014 the CISCO881-SEC-K9 is end of sale. The bulletin states that the replacement model is the C881-K9. This appears to me as incomplete information since the C881-K9 is without the AdvIPservices license. Although it is fairly easy to purchase the L-880-AIS license, in all it requires several steps before AdvIPservices is enabled. Given the popularity of the CISCO881-SEC-K9 i'm surprised that there is no C881-SEC-K9, or am I overlooking something? 

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The replacement is "CISCO881-SEC-K9" and this comprise of "Cisco 881 Ethernet Sec Router w/ Adv IP Services".

Hi Leo, thanks but I'm looking for the replacement of the CISCO881-SEC-K9. 

Ok, I see what you mean.  

Yes, the Feature Set guide for the 860/880 is very vague.  (This is what you get when the people in Marketing/Sales author a Data Sheet!)

If you go HERE and look at Table 1, it actually states that: 

Advanced Security: This is the default feature set and hence the default license (preinstalled at factory) for the Cisco 860, 880 Data, and IAD880 platforms.

Advanced IP Services: This is an upgrade option for the Cisco 880 data or IAD platforms, and is the default feature set for Cisco 880 SRST.

If a user purchases an upgrade to Advanced IP Services at time of manufacturing, both the Advanced Security and Advanced IP Services licenses will be preinstalled, so no additional work is required out of the box.

So, according to this, you need to purchase additional license to enable Advance IP Services.  

Hi Leo,

thanks for looking into this, so actually there appears to be NO replacement model of this very popular bundle. For years we have had the CISCO871-SEC-K9, eol in july 2010 and followed up by CISCO881-SEC-K9 now eol. Very strange that we have have to add the license manually to get the same product.

Cisco have been retiring a lot of the 800 series bundles and normalizing some of the pricing. As you have already figured out the replacement is to order the base C881 and add the advanced IP services license manually. The cost difference is about $11 list per router.

Hi James, thanks for your input on this discussion. For the moment due to lack of options we just follow that route. I'm still surprised that the SEC bundle is retired and that the EOL page doesn't advise correctly, it gives me the impression that cisco will come with a SEC bundle. Let's see if there is some development in that direction or at the very least Cisco should update the EOL page and the 880 page(s). Cheers, Bart

Link for the EoS that covers the 881 sec bundle in case anyone needs it.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/800-series-routers/eos-eol-notice-c51-730681.html

Bart Smit
Level 1
Level 1

Very useful information here on this blog: http://www.fragmentationneeded.net/2014/08/cisco-881-or-cisco-881.html (kudos to Chris Marget)

Too bad the product page is still unclear. So far the conclusion is that the C881-K9 operates at AdvIPservices level and that BGP, VRFs, EIGRP work out of the box.

(basically all the comments below are now obsolete / no longer relevant)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card