cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO881-SEC-K9 router unable to do factory reset

Raj_82
Level 1
Level 1

We have configured the CISCO881-SEC-K9 router and sent it to the site. When we try to logging the router it was not accepting the password. I am we sure saved the config on the router. But we tried login with the password it was not working. I also tried with cisco default password but no luck.

I tried to reset the router which suggested by cisco website . it went into rommon mode 

Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco 881 Series Routers - Cisco

rommon1> confreg 0*2142 

rommon2 >reset 

it says "rommon mode initialized" , but router does not reboot automatically to the factory default

it again came into "rommon1>"

I tried several time with same command it does reboot.

I did manual reboot as well after typing  confreg 0*2142  and reset. it does not reboot to the factory default.

if i reboot it came to <rommon1>  " 

After that I typed command to boot  "boot flash:XXXX.bin" . again router came up with startup config my password was not working 

I tried multiple times I am unable to reset it.

Could you Please guide me how to reset to factory default or skip the startup config? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

One thing I notice (perhaps it is a trivial detail or perhaps it is significant) there are several references to "confreg 0*2142" It should not be the character * but should be the character x

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the back of the router.  Does it have a "Reset" button? 

If it does, hold it down and apply power.  Keep holding it down for 20 seconds and then release.

it has reset button. we tried to reset it came to rommon mode after typing

confreg 0*2142 and reset.

it is does reboot and skip the startup config again it coming to rommon1> mode.

@Raj_82 wrote:

it has reset button. we tried to reset it came to rommon mode after typing "confreg 0*2142 and reset". it is does reboot and skip the startup config again it coming to rommon1> mode.

Reset button does not make the router go into ROMMON.  Reset button only erases the config of the router.

We tried to reset the using " reset button" but was not success.  when we hold the reset button and then power-on the router it going into "rommon1>"  mode. 

we also tried while booting press fn+ctrl+B(Pause/Break) the same mode (roomon1>) it is going.

Is there any problem with the device or we doing something wrong to reset. Could you Please how to reset it 

#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C880 Software (C880DATA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(1)M6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 01-Jun-11 21:13 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(22r)YB5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

XXXxxxxxxxxxuptime is 46 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 14:49:54 MET Tue Feb 15 2022
System image file is "flash:c880data-universalk9-mz.150-1.M6.bin"
Last reload type: Normal Reload

One thing I notice (perhaps it is a trivial detail or perhaps it is significant) there are several references to "confreg 0*2142" It should not be the character * but should be the character x

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard, let me try with confreg 0x2142 and the update the status.

Thanks Richard, When I using confreg 0X2142 it is working.

Thank you very much.

I am glad that my suggestion was helpful and that now it is working. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card