Views
Helpful
Replies

Combine Frame relay Interfaces

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Guys,

i have a request from a customer and am not too sure how to go about it. they currently have a frame-relay point-to-point network. now head office is going to increase their bandwidth so the provider told them to do the following

1. add a second serial card on their router

2. provider brings in another frame-link.

3. router is configured to aggregate both links as one.

my question is simple (i hope). how can this be done? ive seen docs on PPP but thats different from this.

The current Routing Protocol is EIGRP.

Any suggestions would defintely be appreciated.

thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

look like the SP will provision this as multilink Frame Relay (FRF.16) to give you a virtual interface that bundles the two physical ones. The router supports this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804554eb.html

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

thanks,

i just got the request and have not done this before. the router is a 2600 with IOS 12.2 ( i think- awaitng the tech-suport to confirm). i told them that if that is the case, the router stability may be a serious factor to consider and have recommended a router upgrade. advised that CPU load may also increase and may cause other issues.

They have already placed a second WAN card on the router.

Hi, FRF.16 is supported from 12.2(8)T and onward. Any latest maintenance release is supposed to work fine on the 2600 and not increase the load much.

so one final question though. reading through the doc i get the jist of it. but say i currently have 32 remote branches. im seeing that i now create MFR sub interfaces. do i change and configurations on the remote side? DLCI , IP addressing etc?

whats the basic config

1. head office - create the bundle

2. branch office - ?

No changes whatsoever are needed in IP addressing neither for the DLCI numbers, but confirm this latest point with SP.

No configuration changes are necessary at the branch.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card