Views
Helpful
Replies

Computer for a cisco lab

krudeotag28
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have got my hands on some different cisco equipment. Switches, routers, 2505 WLC and a ASA 5505. I tried to setup the ASA but got stuck with accessing the web ui, probably something with the Java with newer browsers.

So now to my question, how can I access these older equipments web ui? Should I have a computer just for this with Windows XP? Virtual machine? Any tip on how to complete my little lab.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- ASA uses ASDM interface for management : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/compatibility/asamatrx.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Martin L
VIP
VIP

3 options: Console cable-default initial setup; Putty, Web GUI (may not work without initial setup)

Console cable is your initial setup way and direct way to connect Cisco device; Console cable could be called default setup and it is emergency connection in case a device is wiped out clean, no configurations and even no image installed. 

Best option is PC with Serial port; yes, old serial port that let u connect  Console cable directly to your Cisco device (console port);  Otherwise, u need to use USB Console cable or adapter to convert serial to USB and then to Cisco device;  Windows XP is ok bit old; u would need a driver for Console cable;  

Any PC will work for Putty connection; Cisco device needs IP to be set up on the interface first; u could use crossover cat 5 cable and directly connect router to PC or use home network or a hub/switch.  

In case of GUI web site; Cisco device must be set up first, then u may need to try other browsers if things do not work.  

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

You may want to consider using an older router as a terminal server. That way you could telnet to a port on it, and the terminal server would have serial connections to the console of each of the devices. Those can be had at a reasonable price on eBay. Ubuntu desktop could be an option for a dedicated computer or virtual machine if you have something that can host one. If you have to have a physical host for that, an older PC/laptop or even a Raspberry Pi would do the the trick.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card