Views
Helpful
Replies

Config file confusion

spj2019
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 
We recently received a new switch/router and wanted to copy the current configuration from the old device onto the new one. After uploading the config file by using a tftp server and writing it to startup-config, I promptly reloaded the device, to get the new configuration running. Connectivity was OK and everything was/is working fine. I logged on and took a look at the configuration and I noticed a few different things : 

1. The version/release of the IOS is different. It was 15.2, while now it is 16.3.

2. There are various statements in the configuration which aren't anywhere in the config file I uploaded. I see statements such as : 

- vstack, 

- class-map match-any system-cpp-police-topology-control  (30 lines with descriptions)

- policy-map port_child_policy (25 lines)

- ip access-list extended AutoQos-4.0-wlan-Acl-Bulk-Data (nearly 50 lines)

- ap dot11 airtime-fairness policy-name Default 0
      ap group default-group
      ap hyperlocation ble-beacon 0 
(5 lines)

From what I've read, most of them are used for wireless functionalities (access points, etc.) : stuff I don't need. Can I remove them without creating any problem ? Furthermore, I thought when I restarted the device,  only what is in the startup-config gets loaded into memory : how can new commands get there? I copied my file onto the startup-config so I know what should be there....or I at least I thought I knew. 
Thanks for any help you can give to this newbie!

Spj

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are certain commands that IOS (or IOSXE etc) self generates and inserts into the startup config. You have discovered some of them. Since they are self generated there is not really any way to remove them. There are some of them that you do not need or use. But they do no harm and you should not worry about them.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

In addition to what Rick notes, sometimes Cisco also changes, between IOS versions, what command are considered defaults and whether they will show or not. (Probably not the case from those commands you describe, but they sometimes also account for changes.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are certain commands that IOS (or IOSXE etc) self generates and inserts into the startup config. You have discovered some of them. Since they are self generated there is not really any way to remove them. There are some of them that you do not need or use. But they do no harm and you should not worry about them.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

In addition to what Rick notes, sometimes Cisco also changes, between IOS versions, what command are considered defaults and whether they will show or not. (Probably not the case from those commands you describe, but they sometimes also account for changes.)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you don't know what "vstack" is, I'd recommend you disable it or else you'll find your network in the 9 o'clock news.
Disable vstack using the command "no vstack" or "no vstack config" and make sure this is put across all the routers and switches.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card