cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Controller on 2811 Router

s.waddell
Level 1
Level 1

Ok this is probably a dumb problem I have, but I can't figure out how to configure the controller on a 2800 series router. I have a T1 that I need to setup and normally I can go in and configure the serial interface and I'm up and running. There is no option for this it is now called a "Controller". I can't seem to assign an IP address to it or anything else. I've looked everywhere (so I think) for information on configure this, but I can't find anything. Any ideas?

I have a 2811 with the 12.3(8)T6 IOS. I have a VWIC-2MFT-T1 module.

Thanks for your help.

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

NOt sure whether you want this to be a Voice T1 or Data T1. Not sure if Voice T1 - You want a PRI or CAS. There are different ways of doing this.

But I will suggest some basic steps.

For a Data T1 (dedicated T1)

----------------------------

controller t1 1/0

no shut

clock source line (may be you might see a primary keyword)

linecode b8zs

framing esf

channel-group 1 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

OR

Voice T1 PRI

------------

Every command specified above with channel-group replaced by pri-group command

pri-group 1 timeslots 1-24 {service mgcp}

service mgcp is required for MGCP backhaul if using MGCP in a Callmanager environment.

Voice T1 CAS

------------

All commands as above with channel-group replaced by ds0-group.

ds0-group 1 timeslots 1-24 e&m-wink-start (The e&m type will vary according to Telco switch setting)

Hope any of these scenarios help!!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for the response. I only need to setup a data connection. It seems that I was on the right track then based on what you sent. The only thing I'm missing is the clock source (is it needed?).

From there I created the Serial interface and gave it an IP address, but I can't even ping that IP when I'm consoled into the router. Any ideas or do you know where I can get good documentation on this?

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card