Helpful
Replies

Configure DHCP server

shados
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I'm new to cisco and I'm stuck.

The goal is to set up one DHCP for all interfaces. 

I have cisco router 2911 and I'm able to assign different Ip addresses to different interfaces along with DHCP servers, however, I can't figure out how to set up one DHCP server for all interfaces.

I'm able to do that on my switch. I just assign Ip address for the VLAN1 interface and configure the DHCP server and then all devices connected to other physical ports are able to get IP addresses.

Please help me, how do I set up one DHCP server for 4 interfaces with 1 IP for the router?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Example: 3 routed interfaces on the rtr then you can create 1 DHCP server service with 3 DHCP scopes for those interfaces.

ip DHCP pool DHCP
dns-server 1.1.1.1  2.2.2.2.
domain-name Fred.com
lease 0 8
network 192.168.1.0/24
default-gateway 192.168.1.1
network 192.168.2./24 secondary 
override default-gateway 192.168.2.1
network 192.168.3.0/24 secondary 
override default-gateway 192.168.3.1

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

is this a Packet Tracer project ? What they probably want you to do is to set up an external DHCP server with 4 different scopes (one for each subnet), and the use an ip helper address (the IP address of the DHCP server) on the interfaces...

If you have a Packet Tracer project file, post the (zipped) file here...

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The built-in ports on a 2911 are routed switchports, this means they must be configured with an IP address belonging to a unique subnet with no overlap with the subnets on the other router switchports. Each routed switchport will require a separate DHCP scope as you have found.

If you want all ports to belong to the same subnet and therefore use a single DHCP scope then you need to look at a Network Module, such as the NM-16ESW. This allows you to create VLANs and SVIs on the router. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/network-modules/82156-ether-switch-nm-config.html

cheers,

Seb.

Hello

Example: 3 routed interfaces on the rtr then you can create 1 DHCP server service with 3 DHCP scopes for those interfaces.

ip DHCP pool DHCP
dns-server 1.1.1.1  2.2.2.2.
domain-name Fred.com
lease 0 8
network 192.168.1.0/24
default-gateway 192.168.1.1
network 192.168.2./24 secondary 
override default-gateway 192.168.2.1
network 192.168.3.0/24 secondary 
override default-gateway 192.168.3.1

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you, guys. It's not quite what I wanted but I was able to set up 3 interfaces with 192.168.1-3.0/24 address pool and three different DHCP servers. 

Hello,

--> Please help me, how do I set up one DHCP server for 4 interfaces with 1 IP for the router?

Is this an exercise and if so, what is the exact text of the requirement ? Or is this just something you are experimenting with ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card