cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure EPL circuit connection

Pdobbinsit
Level 1
Level 1

We recently got an EPL circuit through Time Warner and would like some help with configuring the connection from their Adva device to our network.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What type of Cisco device are you plugging it into?  A Cisco router (if so which), an ASA?

Yes, ASA at both ends.  Assuming that's the best choice rather than the 2960 switches. 

I am in a different country to you and have no idea what this type of circuit is.  I have read their web site and it says it is a layer 2 private Ethernet circuit.

I assume the two sites you currently have use different IP addressing?  If they use the same IP addressing then you could just plug them directly together using the 2960's.

Do the two sites share the same security profiles?  Aka, are they both the same company with the same management and IT team?  If not, connect them via the ASA's.

Some models of 2960 support "basic" layer 3, which would be perfect if the two sites have the same security profiles and use different subnets.  Which exact models of 2960 are you using (you can get this from "show inventory")?

Same company and all, different subnets. 2960X-48TS-L

Well this is going to work out great.

Lets create a new VLAN10 on each switch, place a port in it, and plug the EPL circuit into it.

Something like:

site 1:

vlan 10

name WAN

exit

ip routing

interface vlan10

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.252

exit

interface Gigabit a/b/c

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

exit

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <asa IP address>

ip route <remote subnet> 255.255.255.0 192.168.10.2

site 2:

vlan 10

name WAN

exit

ip routing

interface vlan10

ip address 192.168.10.2 255.255.255.252

exit

interface Gigabit a/b/c

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

exit

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <asa IP address>

ip route <remote subnet> 255.255.255.0 192.168.10.1

On each site, make the default gateway for all machines the IP address of the local switch (probably on your VLAN1).

Thank you. I'll try this and let you know how I make out.

Correct on the circuit. 

Also, what are the subnet(s) used at both of the sites?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: