Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring redundancy on WAN Links

dcarr3311
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have 2 data centers with 2 WAN links connecting them. The perimeter Routing is done with EIGRP.  There is only 2 different source and destination's that traverse the WAN. With EIGRP equal cost load balancing it sees both links as equal. What i want to do is route 1 source and destination across one WAN link , and the second across the other WAN link. I know this can easily be done with static routing. But I have a requirement if one WAN link goes down, I need to route BOTH sources and destinations across the single existing link and visa versa. This has to happen dynamically. Any thoughts on how i can accomplish this? i have a visio i'm uploading to you can see what i'm talking about. 

thanks so much for your help.

Dan 

5 Replies 5

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4

I see BGP between the 2 DC's, Do you redistribute EIGRP into BGP and vice versa or BGP is not managed by you. The reason I am asking 'cos it is very easy to do with BGP

I am redistributing to and from eigrp /bgp

bgp is managed by me on both sides. 

Hi 

Do you have an example on how i could use 'cos to do this?

thanks for your help.

Dan 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Not sure is 100% what you need, but similar situations are often dealt with by using PBR.

That said, I would advise against this approach and instead suggest using both links, equally, but with QoS to insure traffic obtains whatever relative priority it needs regardless of link being used. (PBR can be a bear dealing with failovers.)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card