cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring SSM using a VRF

chad.parish
Level 1
Level 1

I need to test the configuration of Source-specific multicast in parallel to the current production configuration.  I plan to use VRF-Lite to create a SSM-TEST VRF for this so as to separate the two routing environments.  To accomplish this I assume I will need to create new static routes between the participating layer 3 switches to establish the unicast routing underlay required for multicast.  But how do I configure the interfaces that connect the participating layer 3 switches so that they will be associated to the Test VRF while still allowing them to support production traffic passing multicast traffic for other non-test groups?
If it were routers supporting the WAN links between the sites, I could configure a subinterface for the production traffic and a second associated with my VRF for the test multicast traffic.  Not sure how to make this work with layer 3 switches though.   

4 Replies 4

chad.parish
Level 1
Level 1

Can a trunked switch interface pass traffic for both the production VLANs as well as the VLANs with an SVI tied to a VRF?

Hello @chad.parish ,

>> Can a trunked switch interface pass traffic for both the production VLANs as well as the VLANs with an SVI tied to a VRF?

Yes, because the 802.1 trunk is a L2 concept that is only concerned with the list of allowed VLANs on trunk in STP forwarding state.

To be noted for VRF lite to work you need to provide a logical end to end path on all the campus network.

VRF is a an OSI Layer 3 concept and provides a separate routing table and a subset of L3 interfaces associated to it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks so much Giuseppe!
So then I need to configure a routing protocol like OSPF associated to my VRF, configuring it to advertise the networks which my virtual layer 3 interfaces are part of, and these networks associated to the VRF must have VLANs - with SVI's configured to forward the VRF.  Then add those vlans into the allowed vlan statement for each trunk interface linking the sites. 

VRF to segment the SSM test network from productiojn traffic with source at Site-A Lo0 and receivers at Site-B.  Traffic must pass thru DC1 and DC2 to reach between Sites.VRF to segment the SSM test network from productiojn traffic with source at Site-A Lo0 and receivers at Site-B. Traffic must pass thru DC1 and DC2 to reach between Sites.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card