cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Cable Modem Through 3560 Switch

mirsalaradili
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3560 series switch and two comcast cable modems. I connected the modems to them switch via cross over cables and set an OSPF routing on their subnets. I connected my wireless router to another port of the switch and set its gateway IP on the switch port. I can ping the modem with the switch and I can ping the wireless too. But I cannot access to the Internet via the wireless router.

Can anybody help me? Tell me what is the process to accomplish this task. I need load balancing on two cable modems and get a single network connection via the wireless router.

48 Replies 48

So which bundle do you recommend for 2811? And I did not understand if 1941 can accomplish the tast or not? Also the final scenario will be like this:

Cable Modem1|--------

|                                  |---Servers

|-Router-|---- Switch---|---LAN

Cable Modem2|--------                                     |----Wireless Router---|

Correct me if I am wrong

Hi,

Both routers can accomplish the same task with no problems, I just recommended the 2811 as I have more experience with it.

Topology is the correct one! I can assure you router will do the job!

Cheers,

Yanil

Thank you for your very helpful information so far... One quick question so I understand this correctly. 2811 has two HWIC and two FastEthernet ports. They are all RJ-45 ports right? And we are going to plug the two cable modems into those two HWICs with RJ-45 cross-over cables. And then a straight through RJ-45 cable from one of the FastEthernets to the switch. Is that correct?

Sorry I asked so many question. I really appreciate your patience in this and bright information.

Thanks again for everything.

Best,

Hi,

The 2811 has 2 builtin fast ethernet ports which we can use for the 2 modems. Now, the HWIC are only slots with nothing on them, we need to get one of the following cards:

Fast Ethernet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html

Gigabit Ethernet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016be8d.html

We can use either card depening on your local swicth.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

Yanil

Well, I could not see the links that you sent in your past post. Can you tell me the models so I can see how much will it cost?

Also what are going to be the exact command lines for the task? and the topology plan?

I don't know how to thank you for all the time you've spent for this.

Waiting for your further helpful information

Hi,

Probably because I was logged in when got them, try this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html

The part numbers are:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/ic/hardware/installation/guide/fe_hwic.html

The 1-port HWIC (HWIC-1FE) and the 2-port HWIC (HWIC-2FE).

And if you want more speed, this card supports ONLY 1000Gbs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016be8d_ps5949_Products_Data_Sheet.html

HWIC-1GE-SFP

Gigabit Ethernet HWIC with One SFP Slot

SFPs

GLC-T=

1000BASE-T SFP

Configuration wise, pretty much the same we were doing before:

F0/0

IP address ...

ip nat outside

!

F0/1

IP address ...

ip nat outside

!

F0/0/0

IP address ...

ip nat inside

!

NAT statement.

!

I'll still help you if once you get the card.

Modem1------|

|------Router-------|LANSwitch

Modem2------|

Cheers,

Yanil

Good so I will purchase the device and the card and get back to you soon.

Another question. Are you sure this line of the configuration will work?

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255

ip nat inside source list 1 FastEthernet0/1 overload

ip nat inside source list 1 FastEthernet0/2 overload

Because I think the router will not keep both of the FastEthernets in this configuration. It will keep the last one only. Am I wrong?

Hi,

Actually we need to use something similar to the following:

IOS NAT Load-Balancing with Optimized Edge Routing for Two Internet Connections

http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808d2b72.shtml

I know it's acomplex configuration but trust me it will be very simple to implement.

Cheers,

Yanil

Hi,

I purchased the cisco 1941 with security package. Can you tell me the command lines that i need to import so i can check mine with yours and make sure everything will work fine?

Thank you very much Yanil,

Best,

Salar

I am waiting for your response

Hi,

Here is my recommendation on how you should do it:

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

ip nat outside

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

ip address 20.20.20.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat outside

!

interface FastEthernet0/0/0

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

!

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255

ip nat inside source list 1 FastEthernet0/0 overload

ip nat inside source list 1 FastEthernet0/1 overload

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 20.20.20.2

!

Let me know how things work.
Cheers,
Yanil

Hey,

It seems that i can't lead traffic from the swtich to the router. Can you please tell me the commands that i should import for each device separately? What i have on the switch now is just i gave ports ip addresses and then connected the switch to the router without making it trunk, i just set them in same subnet. then on the router i have ports in different subnets and NATing configuration is set as we discussed. But i can't connect to the internet from the switch.

Can you please send me the required command lines for the switch and the router separately so i have a more clear idea about the situation? this thing is taking too long and it is really bad for me, i would appreciate it if you could help me with this.

Thanks,
Salar

Hi Salar,

Thank you for the update I was actually thinking about this case a while ago. Well, let the router do all the intervlan routing, maybe routing on a stick will be fine, is there a lot of traffic going to be generated from the LAN? If so, maybe not router on a stick but configure EIGRP between the router and the switch and have the router forward a default route to the switch, the switch doing the intervlan routing.

Let me know what you think about this solution. Here are some documents to read for configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfeigrp.html

Cheers,

Yannil

Hi,

I think the router has the capability to handle the traffic. The internal traffic is going to be high but the main point of this scenario is to merge the two internet lines and load balance between them with the router so the speed will be increased and the internal network won't experience traffic overloads on the cable modem anymore. Then we are planning to configure VPN, Firewall, NATing configurations for different servers, etc on the router so we have a centralized administration for the internal network.

I couldn't open the link that you provided because i still do not have a contract number and my membership is limited. Can you please tell me more about exactly what to do and how to configure it as we talked before (including the command lines)? Can you please tell me what should be configured on the router and the switch separately?

Thanks,

Salar

Modem 1 |---------

|--- 1941W (Router) -----| 3650 (Switch) |-------| Internal Network

Modem 2 |---------

Hi Salar,

Here is how it goes:

The switch doesn't need to have more than one network, so all you have to do is configure the interface that goes to the router as a access port, on the same vlan as the rest of the network and have the router be the default gateway for the network.

Are you going to have only 1 VLAN?

If you have more than one VLAN let me know so I can explain you better how we can work things out with EIGRP.

Cheers,

Yanil

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card