cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Cisco 3650 switch to vendor ethernet 10meg circuit. Will the switch handle sub-rate connections?

carters
Level 1
Level 1

let me explain further.  

My Cisco 3650 connected to a vendor Ethernet switch at 100 meg full duplex.   Wan circuit is 10 meg.  Will I experience any issues doing this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Asking if you will experience "any" issues is a very broad question. My initial answer is that if you try to send 30 meg of data that yes you will experience issues. But the issue is not with the interface itself but is with the rate limiting that the provider is doing.

The more practical answer is that no you will not experience problems with the switch or the switch interface. 100 meg describes the signaling rate of the interface or the speed at which it will clock the bits that it transmits and not the throughput of the interface. Your interface at 100 meg will connect to the vendor at 100 meg and the rate at which data actually flows will be controlled by the vendor.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Asking if you will experience "any" issues is a very broad question. My initial answer is that if you try to send 30 meg of data that yes you will experience issues. But the issue is not with the interface itself but is with the rate limiting that the provider is doing.

The more practical answer is that no you will not experience problems with the switch or the switch interface. 100 meg describes the signaling rate of the interface or the speed at which it will clock the bits that it transmits and not the throughput of the interface. Your interface at 100 meg will connect to the vendor at 100 meg and the rate at which data actually flows will be controlled by the vendor.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card