Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying IOS Image

tomocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi NetPros,

I have two Routers (C1812 & C1841) each having different version of IOS images. I was wondering if its possible to copy IOS image from flash of one Router and use it to upgrade another.

If it is, how can it be achieved.

Thanks in advance for your contributions

Tom.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

yes technically it is possible. just copy image from one to tftp server then copy back to flash on the other from the tftp server then boot from the newest image with the boot system command  and when it is ok you can delete the old one from flash.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

I believe this routers both have external compact flash. You can copy new image from one router to the flash, take it out and insert on the router to be upgraded. Then either boot it from external CF or copy file to internal flash file system and boot from there.

Alternative options are to use USB stick:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps6247/product_data_sheet0900aecd80232473.html

Or using FTP server as Cadet suggested.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

yes technically it is possible. just copy image from one to tftp server then copy back to flash on the other from the tftp server then boot from the newest image with the boot system command  and when it is ok you can delete the old one from flash.

Regards.

Alain.

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

I believe this routers both have external compact flash. You can copy new image from one router to the flash, take it out and insert on the router to be upgraded. Then either boot it from external CF or copy file to internal flash file system and boot from there.

Alternative options are to use USB stick:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps6247/product_data_sheet0900aecd80232473.html

Or using FTP server as Cadet suggested.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card