Views
Helpful
Replies

Core/distribution SVIs and VLANs

Lukejd83
Level 1
Level 1

Heya,

Potentially very silly question. I'm building a large core (L3), distribution (L3/2) and access layer (L2) design in packet tracer. I've got SVIs on the L3 core switches with trunks between access and distribution with switch access ports on the access down to end devices. Currently I can't ping the core SVI even from the core itself (all set up correctly afaik), but if I put the SVI on the MLS distribution layer I can ping it... do I need to put SVIs on the L3 in addition to the core SVIs or do I just axe the core SVIs and place them on the distro layer? 

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Lets look here what you described:

Core---L3----L3 (distribution)----L2 --Access --L2 End device.

If the Core and Distribution are L3 is this point to point link confgured or Layer 2 port-channel

end device required transparent for layer 2 domain to reach Layer 3 SVI which is in Core.

Core - Layer 3 SVI created.

Core to distribution (Trunk) - make sure vlan created and aallowed (if layer 2)

Distribution to Access - Trunk make sure Vlan created and allowed towards access switch

Still have issue post  show run Core and Distribution and access.

EDIT : forgot give you nice directly which expain the config Lan deployment 3 tier :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Aug2014/CVD-CampusWiredLANDesignGuide-AUG14.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Make sure you turn ip routing on in L3 switch in PT; one of those comes with ip routing on and one does not !

You can attach your PT file here (must be in a zip format).

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Hello

Core =L3 svi and routing
Distribution =L2 trunk between core and access layer
Access-layer = L2 trunks to distribution and edge port to end nodes

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Lukejd83
Level 1
Level 1

Ah, so, it was me being very dense xD

I spoke to my networking friend and he cleared it up for me. I've since hosted the VLANs on the distribution MLSs and everything is working. Remote networks can still reach the VLANs through OSPF... (self-inflicted) crisis averted!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card