Yours

Jimmy

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jimmy,

To my best knowledge, the WFQ activated in the class-default queue works on a per-flow basis. In other words, all traffic classified into the class-default class will be split into so-called conversation queues, each queue representing a single flow (hopefully - a hash function is used for that so multiple flows may eventually end up in the same queue). The WFQ will then schedule these queues using its fair queue algorithm. It is very similar to activating the WFQ on the entire interface.

I am not completely sure about the WRED in the class-default queue but I believe it does not work on per-flow but rather on per-class basis, i.e. it limits only the total number of packets in the class-default class. However, I will need to look this up.

Does this answer your question, or are you asking about something different?

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Peter describes, both work within the class much as they do for an interface, especially WRED.

Some differences:

Within class-default you can use both, recall for interfaces it might be either/or.

Within CBWFQ, its class, whether single FIFO queue or multiple FQ queues competes for bandwidth with other explicit CBWFQ classes.  How this bandwidth is proportioned varies per IOS version.  For example, HQF FQ is is just FQ, prior to HQF, on many IOS based routers, FQ is actually WFQ (like an interface FQ).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jimmy,

To my best knowledge, the WFQ activated in the class-default queue works on a per-flow basis. In other words, all traffic classified into the class-default class will be split into so-called conversation queues, each queue representing a single flow (hopefully - a hash function is used for that so multiple flows may eventually end up in the same queue). The WFQ will then schedule these queues using its fair queue algorithm. It is very similar to activating the WFQ on the entire interface.

I am not completely sure about the WRED in the class-default queue but I believe it does not work on per-flow but rather on per-class basis, i.e. it limits only the total number of packets in the class-default class. However, I will need to look this up.

Does this answer your question, or are you asking about something different?

Best regards,

Peter

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Peter describes, both work within the class much as they do for an interface, especially WRED.

Some differences:

Within class-default you can use both, recall for interfaces it might be either/or.

Within CBWFQ, its class, whether single FIFO queue or multiple FQ queues competes for bandwidth with other explicit CBWFQ classes.  How this bandwidth is proportioned varies per IOS version.  For example, HQF FQ is is just FQ, prior to HQF, on many IOS based routers, FQ is actually WFQ (like an interface FQ).

bluesox123
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Peter And Joe

thank you for your help if i could i would split the rating

yours

Jimmy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card