cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating router interface for ISP?

gibsowe55
Level 1
Level 1

I need to create a virtual interface on a router for an ISP modem to provide internet access.  The ISP has provided the IP, mask, and gateway for the modem.  However, what will the IP address need to be for the interface on the router?  Do I just choose the next available 3rd octet address?  Example:

Modem:

IP address: 192.168.2.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
GW: 192.168.2.1

Router interface:

interface gi0/0.100

description ISP Modem

encapsulation dot1q 100

ip address 192.168.2.3 255.255.255.0

Would this be correct?

6 Replies 6

Hello

Usually you would receive it via dhcp allocation so set you interface for dhcp and see if you do indeed receive addressing but prior to this did they specify what kind of virtual interface this needs to be or did your just select .100

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul - I'm not sure if the modem will be static or DHCP.  They wanted us to set the interface beforehand, but we can plug a laptop into the model and see what we get.  The .100 interface is part of a standard config they sent us.  They have all of the config info, but the ip and mask for the modem is left blank. 

Thanks for the reply.

Hello

i am guessing it’s gojng to be dhcp give that the address range is private 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

sivam siva
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

Router is  your gateway, 192.168.2.1 is the ip which you have to configure on the router interface.

Hi Sivam - That must be it.  I will give it a shot and see if that takes care of.  Thank you.

welcome 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card