cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

crypto key generate rsa please define a hostname other than switch

DesmondTeh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I encountered this issue which is I insert crypto key generate rsa, it displayed "please define a hostname other than switch".  Can I know what is the solution to this?

Capture.PNG

4 Replies 4

Hi

If you are configuring SSH, it has some requirements:

- Not a default hostname so you can configure for example: 

conf t

hostname MY-SWITCH

- Have a dns domain

conf t

ip domain name MYDOMAIN.com

Once you have included these lines you will able to create the rsa key. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

when you have added the domain name as Julio stated and you go to create the keys again the default will be 512 , type 1024 and hit return so it only uses ssh v2 as v1 is unsecure and can be hacked and its advised to not use it anymore where possible

Hello,

You don't need to define ip domain name when you define label when generating ssh keys. Example:

crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048 label sshkeys

According to Cisco, domain is required when there is no label defined so it goes to check domain name.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/security/a1/sec-a1-xe-3se-3850-cr-book/sec-a1-xe-3se-3850-cr-book_chapter_0110.html

wonderful!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: