cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default gateway for terminal to be moved by LISP

hina316
Level 1
Level 1

Where is the default gateway for the relocated devices when relocating on-premise devices to Azure?

On-premise PCs are to be relocated using Cisco's LISP.
The default gateway of the PC to be moved is currently facing the L3SW address (192.168.10.254).
When moving the target PC to Azure, change the address of the default gateway to the address of the Router (192.168.10.254).
(192.168.10.200)?

<Configuration diagram

|PC|---------|L3SW|-----------|Router|------WAN------|Azure Router|---------|PC"|

IP address
PC:192.168.10.1/24 GW:192.168.10.254
L3SW(SVI):192.168.10.254/24
Router:192.168.10.200/24

<Role
・Router is on-premises.
・Azure Router is in the cloud.
・Router plays the role of xTR, MR/MS and Proxy xTR.
・Azure Router is in the role of XTR.
・Azure Router is an IPv4 locator and uses PETR ipv4 use-petr "Router IP".
・L3SW has a SVI for the VLAN of the segment extending to Azure.
・The SVI of the VLAN of the segment to be extended to Azure exists in the L3SW.
・The SVI of the VLAN of the segment to be extended to Azure exists in the L3SW.
・Connect L3SW and Router by trunk.

3 Replies 3

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

I would use the on-prem router as a default gateway for both the on-prem and Azure devices during the migration. It is also possible to have an anycast gateway, but I don't see any benefit of that in this scenario. Once the migration is finished you can configure your Azure located router as the default gateway.

Let me know if you need more assistance in this.

You can find a writeup about this scenario here: https://cloudnetsec.blogspot.com/2019/01/azure-and-lisp-for-workload-migration.html

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

Hello @Torbjørn 

Thank you. It is very helpful. I have read this site.

The terminal after relocation from the on-premise DC will also need to communicate to another segment on-premise. If this is the case, is the only way to use an Anycast gateway?
I would also like to know the Anycast Gateway configuration.

I am new to this, so I would like more specific support on the specifics.

I am preparing to use this site as a reference on how to move VMs to Azure using LISP.

Deploying Cisco Catalyst 8000V Edge Software to Microsoft Azure - Configuring LISP Layer 2 Extension [Cisco Catalyst 8000V Edge Software] - Cisco

Some limitations were mentioned regarding the configuration of the LISP Layer 2 Extension, so I will review the details.

Based on (1), we assume the following as the migration procedure.
Example: Migration of virtual machines from on-prem to Azure
1. add the IP address of the IF of the on-premises server as a secondary IP to the IF of GE2 of C8000V on Azure.
2. migrate the virtual machines
3. after migration is completed, delete the IP address of .1.

(1) When migrating hosts from the data center to the cloud or vice versa, you must first add or remove secondary addresses from the virtual IP table on the cloud.

The contents of (2) above are for communication such as pinging the IF IP address of the on-premises server.
Is the communication, such as pinging, for moving a VM to a secondary IP address?

Hello @Torbjørn 
Can you tell us about your inquiry? 
I hope to not have caused any inconvenience. Thank you for your cooperation.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card