cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default route in MPLS

vin.marco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone I have a problem in injecting the default route, let me explain.

I have a working MPLS network, with various VRFs.

Disegno8.png
The protocol used between PE-CE is OSPF.
CE-1, in its OSPF process injects the default route through the command default-information originate.
PE-1, receives the default route, redeploys in OSPF in BGP and vice versa
PE-2, in the VRF routing table, sees the default route through BGP, redistributes BGP to OSPF and vice versa.
CE-2 does not install the ddefault route.

What's wrong ?

PE-1
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:PE-1#sh route vrf XXXXXXX 
Wed Sep 22 11:30:52.989 utc

Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, B - BGP, (>) - Diversion path
       D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
       N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
       E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP
       i - ISIS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
       ia - IS-IS inter area, su - IS-IS summary null, * - candidate default
       U - per-user static route, o - ODR, L - local, G  - DAGR, l - LISP
       A - access/subscriber, a - Application route
       M - mobile route, r - RPL, (!) - FRR Backup path

Gateway of last resort is 10.36.0.89 to network 0.0.0.0

O*E2 0.0.0.0/0 [110/1] via 10.36.0.89, 18w6d, TenGigE0/0/1/3
PE-2
PE-2#sh ip route vrf XXXXXXX 

Routing Table: XXXXXXX
Codes: L - local, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
       D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area 
       N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
       E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
       i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
       ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route
       o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route, H - NHRP, l - LISP
       a - application route
       + - replicated route, % - next hop override, p - overrides from PfR

Gateway of last resort is 10.86.1.1 to network 0.0.0.0

B*    0.0.0.0/0 [200/1] via 10.86.1.1, 21:10:56
CE-2

CE-2#sh ip route 0.0.0.0
% Network not in table
CE-2#
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

In Cisco IOS-based OSPF implementation, you cannot redistribute a default route into OSPF. All other routes can be redistributed but a default route must be injected with default-information originate. So if PE-2 does not have this command configured for the OSPF process in the correct VRF, it won't retake the default route from BGP and won't have it advertised toward CE-2.

Would this explain the behavior in your setup?

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

Hi Marco,

At least as far as the default route is concerned, this is an expected behavior.

Two things are important to remember:

1. You cannot redistribute the default route from another protocol into OSPF. The only way to make a router originate the default route into a regular OSPF area is to configure that router with the default-information originate command in the OSPF configuration. This is why you needed to configure PE-2 OSPF this way.
  2. Even if an OSPF process is configured with the default-information originate command, it will only inject the default route into OSPF if there already is a default route in the router's routing table. It does not matter where the default route came from (whether it's a static default route, or from BGP, or from any other routing protocol) but it has to be there. In other words, the default-information originate command injects the default route into OSPF only if the router already has a default route from another routing source. You most likely met this requirement by configuring PE-1 BGP with the default-information originate command which caused the default route to propagate via BGP from PE-1 to PE-2.

Did you observe any other behavior? Do you have any doubts? Please feel free to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

In Cisco IOS-based OSPF implementation, you cannot redistribute a default route into OSPF. All other routes can be redistributed but a default route must be injected with default-information originate. So if PE-2 does not have this command configured for the OSPF process in the correct VRF, it won't retake the default route from BGP and won't have it advertised toward CE-2.

Would this explain the behavior in your setup?

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter and thanks for the reply
the command default-information originate was inserted into the CE-1 OSPF process.

Should I include it in the OSPF process of PE-2 to CE-2?

Hello,

Should I include it in the OSPF process of PE-2 to CE-2?

Yes, precisely. Remove it from CE-2 and configure it on PE-2 instead. This command is supposed to be placed on the router that

• already has the default route learned by other means than OSPF
  • and needs to propagate that default route in OSPF

Clearly, it's PE-2, not CE-2 : )

Best regards,
Peter

This is the configuration I did:

1. PE-1: in BGP I entered default-information originate
  2. PE-2: in OSP I entered default-information originate
  3. CE-2: I received the default route

But is this behavior normal?
If I redeploy i from a routing process in OSPF, shouldn't I see prefixes in Type-5?

Hi Marco,

At least as far as the default route is concerned, this is an expected behavior.

Two things are important to remember:

1. You cannot redistribute the default route from another protocol into OSPF. The only way to make a router originate the default route into a regular OSPF area is to configure that router with the default-information originate command in the OSPF configuration. This is why you needed to configure PE-2 OSPF this way.
  2. Even if an OSPF process is configured with the default-information originate command, it will only inject the default route into OSPF if there already is a default route in the router's routing table. It does not matter where the default route came from (whether it's a static default route, or from BGP, or from any other routing protocol) but it has to be there. In other words, the default-information originate command injects the default route into OSPF only if the router already has a default route from another routing source. You most likely met this requirement by configuring PE-1 BGP with the default-information originate command which caused the default route to propagate via BGP from PE-1 to PE-2.

Did you observe any other behavior? Do you have any doubts? Please feel free to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

vin.marco
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so much Peter

Hi Marco,

Very much welcome! : )

Best regards,
Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card