Views
Helpful
Replies

Default Route not removed when the next hop is unreachable

Learner09
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have two CE routers from two ISPs with default static routes towards their respective ISP gateways for internet, and OSPF between the the two CE routers and a layer 3 core switch which is injecting default route with equal cost for load balancing the internet traffic between the two ISPs. I face internet reachability issue from the core switch when their is failure of internet from any of the ISP gateways, because the default route is still injected into the OSPF, even though the next hop is unreachable from CE.

Basically, how I can remove the default route from the CE router when the next hop is unreachable, so that it will not be injected into the OSPF. Thank you

2 Replies 2

You use always keyword when config defualt information originate? If Yes then remove it

You use next-hop only in your defualt route? If Yes then use egress interface and next-hop 

I add both egress and next-hop and still defualt route not remove from RIB ? Then use track to next-hop or to dns 

MHM

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Learner09 

Set up IP SLA to periodically track the reachability of the ISP gateways. If the tracked object fails (indicating an issue with the ISP gateway), it will trigger a change in the routing. This will allow you to dynamically adjust the OSPF routing based on the reachability of the next hop.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card