cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

delaying commands sent remotely

Everett_Racine
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find the command that will allow me to delay a remote device from writing a series of commands to configure the link I am communicating over. Once I write the first 2 commands it will dump the link I am remoting into it with.. Can someone help me with this quickly as I have a project to remote into a series of devices to reconfigure the interface I will be communicating over. Thanks so much for your help in advance.

8 Replies 8

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can schedule commands using kron, which 

I have used to schedule weekly backups.

take a look at the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/cns/configuration/15-mt/cns-15-mt-book/cns-cmd-sched.html#GUID-6648F6B1-071D-4116-8772-73092223A21A

i would also use the "reload in xx" in case you can't get the link back up.  Reload would restore the original config and bring the link back up.

If all comes up ok, don't forget to cancel the reload.

hope this helps,

Please rate helpful pists

Thanks

Hi Charles, thanks for the info on KRON. Not sure if that will apply to the situation I have as I am not looking to have a task scheduled for each week/day. I am looking to reconfigure a link remotely but know that once I enter the first few lines, or default the interface first, it will not allow me to finish the commands because the link will be down after the first few lines of change. Can that be accomplished with KRON for a one time script run?

As long as the needed commands are allowed by kron I see no reason why not.

Ill test it in the morning and get back with you.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I have a technique, not a command.

Create a file of the commands you need to execute (those that impact the connecting link).  Copy that file to device's flash.  Copy that file from flash to running config.

The file's commands will be executed locally.  If done correctly, your connecting link might "blink", but it should restore.

For dealing with "oops", before copying flash file, schedule a reload in a couple of minutes.  If all goes well, cancel the scheduled reload.

Thanks Joe I think that will work. although the reboot isn't an option as the link is from the core. It would knock out the sight. thanks again

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, a reboot is bad, but if you misconfigure the only link to/from the site, it's often better than the alternative.  (Best to do such during off-hours.)

Yes knocking down the sight here is a very bad thing. It is what I like to call an RGE (Resume Generating Event). LOL Thanks guys for all the help.

Nice suggestion Joseph.  I'll have to remember that technique and put it in my mental tool box.  :)

(+5 to Joseph)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card