Helpful
Replies

DHCP IP to MAC Binding & Security

Hamidsattarrana
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I hope you guys are well.

I  have configured IP to MAC and binding on Cisco 3845 Series Router. It is working fine.

But the thing is that I do not want anyone to get an IP address from the same DHCP server? If there MAC address is not binded with IP address.

Need suggestion.

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That sounds a bit contradictory , isn't the purpose of DHCP to provide ip address(es) ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Yes it is. But I want DHCP server to assign IP addresses to only those devices whose mac addresses are binded.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

in that case make sure you reserv all the IP address - not to open pool for general allocation, add static reservation, so no IP address allocated not listed in theDHCP. is this make sense ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

The dhcp snooping binding database gets populated from dhcp allocations from the dhcp server, what you can do is to incorporate Dynamic Arp Inspection (DAI) (with or without the snooping enabled or Ip Source Guard (IPSG)  with the latter being able to filter on either just ip address or ip address and mac address but requiring the dhcp snooping being enabled.

If then a host ip/mac entry populated in the snooping database and being used by either DAI or IPSG  or just an DAI access doesn't have a correct binding then communication is dropped. 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

how did you bind the MAC addresses to IP addresses ? Using static reservations such as the ones below ?

ip dhcp pool HOST_1

host 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

client-identifier 01c4.09ab.dfe2.c0

ip dhcp pool HOST_2

host 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0

hardware-address c409.abdf.e2c0

Hi!

I have used the following method.

ip dhcp pool HOST_1

host 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

client-identifier 01c4.09ab.dfe2.c0

Is it okay?