cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP server on enterprise network, multilayer switch issue?

mockingfrog
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All!

I am working on building a network for a project, but I'm having trouble with the DHCP server portion. I have not used this before, and have spent a few hours troubleshooting it. I have entered my VPN networks and the helper addresses, but I'm getting errors on the PC's when they try to get addresses. I know there is a lot of work that still needs to be done, this project is one that we get additional instructions week-by-week, but I'm stuck trying to get the DHCP working from last week. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LpRbawIN1tyA-MM9TUXzPADBYmqVv4NE/view?usp=sharing

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have made some changes to your network. A few inter switch links were not configured as trunks, and the router now has subinterfaces. Keep in mind that your router as well as the DHCP server have a scope for Vlan 10, you need to decide which one you want to use...

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Which version of Packet Tracer are you using ?

I managed to open your file.

There are numerous issues with your setup. First of all, your DHCP server has two NICs, which VLAN do you want to use for the DHCP server ?

On the router, you need to set up a subinterface for each VLAN, it would look like this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.10
encapsulation dot1Q 10
ip address 192.0.2.1 255.255.255.192
ip helper-address 192.0.2.196
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0.20
encapsulation dot1Q 20
ip address 192.0.2.65 255.255.255.192
ip helper-address 192.0.2.196
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0.40
encapsulation dot1Q 40
ip address 192.0.2.193 255.255.255.192

On the subinterfaces you need to configure a helper address, which is the IP address of your DHCP server.

I'm using version 7.2.0.0226

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As per mentioned by Georg, you are missing "IP helper-address" command on sub interfaces or Vlans. 

By using the ip helper-address command, a router can be configured to accept a broadcast request for a UDP service and then forward it as a unicast to a specific IP address.

Command syntax must be like

Interface gig 0/0.100 

Ip helper-address 10.10.10.10 <DHCP Server IP>

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

I have made some changes to your network. A few inter switch links were not configured as trunks, and the router now has subinterfaces. Keep in mind that your router as well as the DHCP server have a scope for Vlan 10, you need to decide which one you want to use...

Thank you so much for your help! I've been able to add the rest of my vlans and get the DHCP to pull. I really appreciate your time. Now on to the rest of the network!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card