cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Servers are not working.

matjoh4753
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured DHCP services on Server 1 and I'm trying to pull DHCPs on my PCs but it's not working. Any help would be appreciated. Packet File attached. Thanks. 

7 Replies 7

Hi @matjoh4753 

The file attached is working.

When you are creating DHCP scope on the DHCP server, you need to use the networks that the host will use. For example, the router Matjoh4753-R3 have networks 182.168.47.X and this router will be the gateway for all your PCs. Therefore, you need to create DHCP scope on the network 182.168.47.X. You can check how I did on the DHCP server.

And, in order to the PCs get IP address, the router must have on its subinterface the configuration for the DHCP server. We need to use the command "ip helper-address 11.1.1.10".  With this command in place, when one DHCP request arrives from the PC to the router, the router knows who is the DHCP server and forward the DHCP request to the DHCP server.

Another detail you missed, the networks you used on the subinterface must be adivertised on the routing protocol so that the DHCP server can reach this network when reply with DHCP offer.

If my explenation was not clear enough, please let me know.

So, I was trying to pull the DHCP from matjoh4753-Server1, when looking at your file, I don't see any DHCP pools set up in Server1. Am i missing something here?

Oh I got it. Actually as the DHCP service was not enable on the server, I look for another and I saw DHCP enable on server.com. But we can transfer to the other server. Just a minute

Ok, here is the file using the server matjoh4753-Server1

The idea is the very same. You need to propagate the network 192.168.47.0 on the RIP protocol.

Oh, I see. My RIP was 192.168.50.0 and that just needed to be changed to 47 as the 3rd octet for all 3 routers?

Yes. For the DHCP to work only R2 was necessary but you better fix in all router for other communication porpuses.

thank you. must have been looking on the wrong line when putting those in.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card