Views
Helpful
Replies

Differences in Internet link ratio i.e 1:1, 1:2, 1:4

Kuldeep singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is difference between Internet lease line ratios like as 1:1, 1:2, 1:4 which is provided by ISP end.

Plz do not consider DSL internet link in my question here i am talking about only lease line. I heard many

different different reasons about ratio concept so i am still confused,  which is given below:

For eg. a 3MB 1:2 would mean you have a dedicated internet bandwdith of 1.5Mb but can burst upto 3Mb when it is available

OR

1:1 - whole 3mbps pipe will be yours
1:2 - 2 people will share the line
1:4 - 4 people will share the line

OR

Ex, 3 mbps link with 1:1, as per ISP download and upload speed will be 3mbps.

and for 1:4, 1:8 download with be same 3mbps but uploads will be varies

Suppose i have two 3 Mbps lease line

A) 1:1  3Mbps

B) 1:2  3Mbps

Plz explain both in your words with confirm answer

KS

4 Replies 4

ciscoamit_497
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Kuldeep,

As per my knowledge with the communication that I had earlier with Reliance is....

If you are buying an ISP link of 1Meg then 1:1 means 1Meg of download and 1 Meg of upload, and In you scenario..if you will buy a 3 Meg link..then 1:4 means 3 Meg of download and 1/4th of upload...

Hope this will be helpful to you, but it depends on ISP to ISP about the consideration of ratio...

So, better to talk to your ISP for a clear picture on this...

Hope this will be helpful to you..

Thnx

Amit

**************Dont forget to rate the helpful posts*********

Kuldeep singh
Level 1
Level 1

Still it is not clear to me .........Plz reply with confirmed answer

I am not clear about the context of your question. I have seen some references to ratios like 1:2 or 1:3 in the context of shared media connections like DSL or Cable Modem. But apparently you are focusing your question only on lease line.

The one thing that I have seen that may be what you are asking about is in dealing with a service such as Frame Relay. You may have a T1 as the connection and have a service with CIR of 764 which would be a 1:2 ratio. Or a CIR of 512 which would be a ratio of 1:3.

If this is not what you are asking then please provide clarification of the question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

It really can mean a variety of things, depends how your imagination goes!

I would ask clarification from the provider if it is not clear, instead of guessing or assuming. Normally in the UK (as an example) telco's would describe in this form: 1gb/10gb bearer. Meaning, I get 1Gb connection, but the LES circuit itself is available to expand to 10Gb's... Now one could represent this as 1:10 or even 10:1 ... but who knows?!

It might mean the connection speed you get over a bearer, could mean download and upload rates etc...

Depends on the provider and how they market their products; also what they mean with these ratio's.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card