cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different RIP Timers for Individual networks

Bruno Porcelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I was wondering, is there a way to set different RIP timers for each individual network advertised by a RIP router in a L3 switch or will those timers always affect all the networks equally? Thanks!

6 Replies 6

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @Bruno Porcelli ,

RIP timers can be changed for the entire routing process with the timers basic router config command:

timers basic update invalid holddown flush

This command will affect all the networks enabled for RIP routing.

To revert to default timers, use the no timers basic command.

The only parameter that can be changed on a interface, thus affecting only the network configured on that interface, is the update interval. The command is ip rip advertise update interface config command.

Hope this helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Very useful, Thanks! 

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Why RIP  ? u should not use RIP in any networks today; use OSPF or EIGRP; 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses ** 

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Bruno Porcelli 

I would recommend you to look at more advanced and stable IGP Routing protocols such EIGRP and OSPF (Interoperable between Vendors). But if you have a very specific requirement that forces you to use RIP, then you can use the command ip rip advertise update under the interface conf. This command might work only on the IOS release, the new IOS-XE doesn't seem to have a similar command, leveraging the global.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Bruno Porcelli ,

given the distance vector nature of RIP even RIPv2, you cannot have per prefix timer all the routes are sent at each update interval so the timers can be changed but globally and they apply to all prefixes.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Gopinath_Pigili
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello Bruno Porcelli,

The basic timing parameters for RIP are adjustable. Since RIP is executing a distributed, asynchronous routing algorithm, it is important that these timers be the same for all routers in the network.

we can tune rip timer using  timers basic command:

router rip

timers basic update invalid holddown flush
timers basic 5 15 15 30

you can revert the timers back to default..

router rip
no timers basic 5 15 15 30

as our members are already mentioned... Eigrp or ospf is best choice of Dynamic routing protocol...compare to rip

Best regards
******* If This Helps, Please Rate *******

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card