Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN NHRP - Phase 2 and phase 3 -

nwekechampion
Level 3
Level 3

Hi guys,

I am confused with DMVPN phase 2 and phase 3, when they say spoke traffic does not go through hub, does it mean that it just makes reference to the NHRP mapping (NBMA ip -> tunnel IP) to register it in data plane?

Why is Phase 2 not compatible with routing?

What is the use case of phase 2 and phase 3?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The description you shared is not entirely correct. Let me try to describe all DMVPN phases and their differences - that will hopefully clarify the doubts.

DMVPN Phase 1 is the initial DMVPN version, and it allows spokes to dynamically register to hubs. The data flows, however, are always going through the hub. Phase 1 does not provide spoke-to-spoke tunnels. It was possible to run a routing protocol in Phase 1 between the hub and and the spokes; obviously, the only adjacencies that would come up would be between the hub and the spokes, never between spokes. It was quite enough if the dynamic routing protocol advertised only a default route from the hub to the spokes. Of course, the hub has to learn about all networks on all sites behind spokes, so in this direction, the routing protocol is very important.

DMVPN Phase 2 is the improved version where spokes dynamically register to hubs but are also capable of creating spoke-to-spoke tunnels. The dynamic routing is not only supported here but plays a very important role here. Similar to Phase 1, the routing protocol adjacencies in Phase 2 are built only between hub and spokes, not between spokes. However, every spoke must know about all networks behind all other spokes, whether it needs to send packets to those sites or not, and very importantly, the next hop IPs to the networks on others sites must be the spoke routers on those sites, not the hub. This required some tweaking of the dynamic routing protocol on the hub so that it kept the original next hop IP address intact. When a spoke needed to send a packet to a network behind another spoke, it would consult the local NHRP mapping table, and if the mapping wasn't there, it would ask the hub for the tunnel-to-underlay IP address translation. So in Phase 2, dynamic routing is extremely important; it needs to populate the spokes' routing tables with all networks from all sites, but keep the next hop addreses pointing to the remote spokes, not to the hub. Spokes would use NHRP to request the tunnel-to-underlay IP address mappings from the hub as needed.

DMVPN Phase 3 is further improved version where spokes dynamically register to hubs, they keep the spoke-to-spoke tunnel capability too, but the process of resolving the NHRP mapping for the remote spoke is different. Dynamic routing is used here, too, but resembles the approach in Phase 1. Instead of populating every spoke with the full list of the networks, it is enough for the hub to send only a default route to the spokes, and advertise itself (the hub) as the next hop for the default route. When a spoke needs to send a packet to a network behind another spoke, it simply follows its routing table, and at the beginning, sends the packet along the default route to the hub. The hub will route that packet according to its own routing table - and it will realize that the packet came through the Tunnel interface and needs to be send back through that Tunnel interface again (although to a different spoke). The hub will therefore forward the packet as needed, but it will also utilize an extension to the NHRP called NHRP Redirect, allowing the original spoke to learn the following information through NHRP:

- the network and netmask for the real destination network of the packet
- the remote spoke's tunnel IP as the next hop of that destination network
- the tunnel-to-underlay IP translation for that next hop

The original spoke will use this NHRP Redirect to populate both its own routing table with a route that describes the destination of the original packet and is more specific than the default route, and to populate its own NHRP mapping table for the remote spoke.

So, what's the improvement here? Greater scalability. Spokes no longer need to have a list of all networks on all sites. The routing protocol there should only advertise a default route or some general summary route from the hub to all spokes. When, and only when, a spoke needs to talk to a network behind another spoke, the extensions to NHRP will make sure that the spoke will learn the specific destination network and the remote spoke information over NHRP, not over a dynamic protocol, and this process will be triggered by initially sending the original packet to the hub.

In all three phases, a dynamic routing protocol is both supported and very useful. In all three phases, it allows the hub to learn about the networks behind every spoke. In Phase 1 and Phase 3, the hub should only advertise a default route or a similar summary to the spokes; Phase 1 does not support spoke-to-spoke communication while Phase 3 uses NHRP extensions to learn the networks behind remote spokes on as-needed basis. In Phase 2, the hub needs to advertise all networks to all spokes, and keep the spoke IPs as the next hop IPs, unchanged. And finally, no matter what the phase is, the routing protocol adjacencies are only built between the hub and the spokes.

Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

". . . Phase 1 does not support spoke-to-spoke communication . . ."

Hopefully no one will misunderstand what Peter wrote, which I'm quoting, but to absolutely clear, Phase I spokes can exchange traffic, i.e. they can intercommunicate, but NOT without the traffic transiting the hub.

Also, in Phase 1, each spoke might already "know" of the networks at the other spokes, i.e. depending on the dynamic routing protocol being used, and how configured, default routes and/or aggregates might not be used.  (Again, in such cases, the spokes would see the hub as the transit hop to reach another spoke.  [My experience with DMVPN has been with Phase I and OSPF, the latter not having features that EIGRP does which can be especially nice for DMVPN setups.])

BTW, I recall (?) one "issue", with spoke-to-spoke communications (only with Phase II?), was the spoke-to-spoke tunnel needed to be brought into operation, i.e. dynamically built (and possibly [@Peter Paluch - any comments, please], some traffic might still bounce off the hub while this was done, or there would be additional delay for the packet[s] "forcing" the spoke-to-spoke tunnel).

Also, Phase II or III setups may create the typical multi-point (i.e. many to one) congestion issues, which if you have tight SLA needs (like VoIP), might be very problematic.  (NB:  if supported, adaptive QoS over DMVPN, possibly, might mitigate this issue.)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Why is Phase 2 not compatible with routing? This not correct' phase2 compatible with routing but it not work with summary.

I am confused with DMVPN phase 2 and phase 3, when they say spoke traffic does not go through hub, does it mean that it just makes reference to the NHRP mapping (NBMA ip -> tunnel IP) to register it in data plane?

Different between phase2 and phase3 is 

In phase2 the first packet always send to hub then the hub will send NBMA-Ip of spokes and all other packet will now direct flow between spokes without go to hub 

Phase3 even first packet is flow directly between spokes' no packet go to hub.

Thanks so much @MHM Cisco World .

So what would be the use-case ? When would I use or not use them?

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The description you shared is not entirely correct. Let me try to describe all DMVPN phases and their differences - that will hopefully clarify the doubts.

DMVPN Phase 1 is the initial DMVPN version, and it allows spokes to dynamically register to hubs. The data flows, however, are always going through the hub. Phase 1 does not provide spoke-to-spoke tunnels. It was possible to run a routing protocol in Phase 1 between the hub and and the spokes; obviously, the only adjacencies that would come up would be between the hub and the spokes, never between spokes. It was quite enough if the dynamic routing protocol advertised only a default route from the hub to the spokes. Of course, the hub has to learn about all networks on all sites behind spokes, so in this direction, the routing protocol is very important.

DMVPN Phase 2 is the improved version where spokes dynamically register to hubs but are also capable of creating spoke-to-spoke tunnels. The dynamic routing is not only supported here but plays a very important role here. Similar to Phase 1, the routing protocol adjacencies in Phase 2 are built only between hub and spokes, not between spokes. However, every spoke must know about all networks behind all other spokes, whether it needs to send packets to those sites or not, and very importantly, the next hop IPs to the networks on others sites must be the spoke routers on those sites, not the hub. This required some tweaking of the dynamic routing protocol on the hub so that it kept the original next hop IP address intact. When a spoke needed to send a packet to a network behind another spoke, it would consult the local NHRP mapping table, and if the mapping wasn't there, it would ask the hub for the tunnel-to-underlay IP address translation. So in Phase 2, dynamic routing is extremely important; it needs to populate the spokes' routing tables with all networks from all sites, but keep the next hop addreses pointing to the remote spokes, not to the hub. Spokes would use NHRP to request the tunnel-to-underlay IP address mappings from the hub as needed.

DMVPN Phase 3 is further improved version where spokes dynamically register to hubs, they keep the spoke-to-spoke tunnel capability too, but the process of resolving the NHRP mapping for the remote spoke is different. Dynamic routing is used here, too, but resembles the approach in Phase 1. Instead of populating every spoke with the full list of the networks, it is enough for the hub to send only a default route to the spokes, and advertise itself (the hub) as the next hop for the default route. When a spoke needs to send a packet to a network behind another spoke, it simply follows its routing table, and at the beginning, sends the packet along the default route to the hub. The hub will route that packet according to its own routing table - and it will realize that the packet came through the Tunnel interface and needs to be send back through that Tunnel interface again (although to a different spoke). The hub will therefore forward the packet as needed, but it will also utilize an extension to the NHRP called NHRP Redirect, allowing the original spoke to learn the following information through NHRP:

- the network and netmask for the real destination network of the packet
- the remote spoke's tunnel IP as the next hop of that destination network
- the tunnel-to-underlay IP translation for that next hop

The original spoke will use this NHRP Redirect to populate both its own routing table with a route that describes the destination of the original packet and is more specific than the default route, and to populate its own NHRP mapping table for the remote spoke.

So, what's the improvement here? Greater scalability. Spokes no longer need to have a list of all networks on all sites. The routing protocol there should only advertise a default route or some general summary route from the hub to all spokes. When, and only when, a spoke needs to talk to a network behind another spoke, the extensions to NHRP will make sure that the spoke will learn the specific destination network and the remote spoke information over NHRP, not over a dynamic protocol, and this process will be triggered by initially sending the original packet to the hub.

In all three phases, a dynamic routing protocol is both supported and very useful. In all three phases, it allows the hub to learn about the networks behind every spoke. In Phase 1 and Phase 3, the hub should only advertise a default route or a similar summary to the spokes; Phase 1 does not support spoke-to-spoke communication while Phase 3 uses NHRP extensions to learn the networks behind remote spokes on as-needed basis. In Phase 2, the hub needs to advertise all networks to all spokes, and keep the spoke IPs as the next hop IPs, unchanged. And finally, no matter what the phase is, the routing protocol adjacencies are only built between the hub and the spokes.

Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

". . . Phase 1 does not support spoke-to-spoke communication . . ."

Hopefully no one will misunderstand what Peter wrote, which I'm quoting, but to absolutely clear, Phase I spokes can exchange traffic, i.e. they can intercommunicate, but NOT without the traffic transiting the hub.

Also, in Phase 1, each spoke might already "know" of the networks at the other spokes, i.e. depending on the dynamic routing protocol being used, and how configured, default routes and/or aggregates might not be used.  (Again, in such cases, the spokes would see the hub as the transit hop to reach another spoke.  [My experience with DMVPN has been with Phase I and OSPF, the latter not having features that EIGRP does which can be especially nice for DMVPN setups.])

BTW, I recall (?) one "issue", with spoke-to-spoke communications (only with Phase II?), was the spoke-to-spoke tunnel needed to be brought into operation, i.e. dynamically built (and possibly [@Peter Paluch - any comments, please], some traffic might still bounce off the hub while this was done, or there would be additional delay for the packet[s] "forcing" the spoke-to-spoke tunnel).

Also, Phase II or III setups may create the typical multi-point (i.e. many to one) congestion issues, which if you have tight SLA needs (like VoIP), might be very problematic.  (NB:  if supported, adaptive QoS over DMVPN, possibly, might mitigate this issue.)

Thanks @Joseph W. Doherty 

From my reading.. it would seem like phase 2 introduced more issues than it could mtitigate with its enhancement.

So my question is why is it still around?

Are there specific use-cases for its application?

Thanks

Champ

Why Phase II still around?

Possibly because (for some) "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  ; )

If you need spoke-to-spoke traffic and your equipment supports Phase II or III, I don't know of any use cases for using the former vs. the latter, but I don't know, perhaps there are.  That could be a forum question in its own.

Thanks a lot @Peter Paluch ,

A lot to unpack here..

I might rephrase phase 2 has routing limitations, it would seem ?

So in phase 3, there is no direct CEF entry for spoke to spoke communication, only when that traffic is needed, just default route to hub?

What would be the use-case for all phases, or would phase 3 just be considered the de-facto DMVPN standard ?

If phase 3 is the go-to standard, why hasn't cisco officially stopped supporting the other (phase 1 and phase 2 ) phases?

Many thanks

Champ

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card