Helpful
Replies

DMVPN question

Jigar Dave
Level 3
Level 3

Hi community,

I need some advise on DMVPN question.

one of my customer came at a situation to expand their data center from one to two location.

at current set up - existing data center has 2 dmvpn router acting as hub and other offices are connected to it (office routers are spoke).

now with new data center, we will set up 2 more routers and want to keep that routers as hub routers, so in total 4 hub routers and all office routers are spoke.

in existing data center, I used 10.130.1.x/24 subnet as dmvpn network to connect between hub and spoke

in new data center, since it has separate network, I would have to use 10.230.1.x/24 subnet as dmvpn network to connect between hub and spoke.

is that possible to keep 2 routers of 10.130 network as hub in one DC and to keep 2 routers of 10.230 network as hub in second DC.

Per my understanding - 

1 - I have to configure second tunnel into each office router in 10.230.1.x subnet that will form dmvpn topology with second DC. and keeping 10.130.1.x tunnel as well.

2 - I have to configure one tunnel in existing DC in 10.230.1.x network and have to configure one tunnel in new DC in 10.130.1.x network - this will form hub spoke and spoke hub connection between two DC - I am not 100% sure on it. - need advise.

please help

Thanks

JD...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

If you want to to two separate DMVPN networks, you're on the right track. You can do a second tunnel for the 10.230.1.0/24 network on each spoke and then take one of two approaches for the connection between the DCs.

1. Add a tunnel interface to each DC router, configured as a spoke for the other DC's DMVPN network.
  2. Create a dedicated (non-DMVPN) tunnel between the two DCs.

Another option to consider for the whole solution, which might be simpler, is to just add the new DC's routers as hubs on the existing DMVPN network. This allows everything to function on the existing 10.130.1.0/24 network and eliminates the need for a new tunnel at the spokes. Just add the new DC routers in as static NHRP and multicast maps to the existing tunnels and you should be good.

Is there a particular reason you're considering a dual-DMVPN design?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

If you want to to two separate DMVPN networks, you're on the right track. You can do a second tunnel for the 10.230.1.0/24 network on each spoke and then take one of two approaches for the connection between the DCs.

1. Add a tunnel interface to each DC router, configured as a spoke for the other DC's DMVPN network.
  2. Create a dedicated (non-DMVPN) tunnel between the two DCs.

Another option to consider for the whole solution, which might be simpler, is to just add the new DC's routers as hubs on the existing DMVPN network. This allows everything to function on the existing 10.130.1.0/24 network and eliminates the need for a new tunnel at the spokes. Just add the new DC routers in as static NHRP and multicast maps to the existing tunnels and you should be good.

Is there a particular reason you're considering a dual-DMVPN design?

Thanks Jody, 

I like idea to add new DC routers in 10.130 range. 

Thanks,

JD...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: