cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Advantage license - ¿Is it a requirement for routing?

Patxi
Level 1
Level 1

I need to buy some C8500L-8S4X for use them to stablish BGP sessions withs 3 ISP to get the full routing of internet.

I've read that DNA subscription is requiret:

"A Cisco DNA subscription is required for the Catalyst 8500 Series Edge platforms. The Cisco DNA subscription is orderable through this SKU: L-DNA-C8500."

But when I choose the hardware at CCW app, I can finish without adding the DNA subscription. My question is,  ¿can I configure BGP without the DNA subscription?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

the full text is: 

Licensing

All Cisco Catalyst 8500 Series Edge Platforms are offered only with a Cisco DNA Software subscription. Only Cisco DNA Advantage and Cisco DNA Premier are available for the Cisco Catalyst C8500L, C8500-12X and C8500-12X4QC Series Edge Platforms. Cisco DNA Advantage is only offered on the C8500-20X6C Series Edge Platform.

read above text carefully: it means the platform is only sold including a DNA software subscribtion (this license has two variants, advantage and premier)
it does not need this license for operation!,
and if you do not have a DNA server at all, then this license is "reserved for the future"

View solution in original post

Hello
FYI- We run 8Ks  throughout our estates without DNA licence activation and all is good..

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

pieterh
VIP
VIP

the full text is: 

Licensing

All Cisco Catalyst 8500 Series Edge Platforms are offered only with a Cisco DNA Software subscription. Only Cisco DNA Advantage and Cisco DNA Premier are available for the Cisco Catalyst C8500L, C8500-12X and C8500-12X4QC Series Edge Platforms. Cisco DNA Advantage is only offered on the C8500-20X6C Series Edge Platform.

read above text carefully: it means the platform is only sold including a DNA software subscribtion (this license has two variants, advantage and premier)
it does not need this license for operation!,
and if you do not have a DNA server at all, then this license is "reserved for the future"

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do not worry about DNA Subscription license.  When it expires, nothing will happen to the functionality of the router.  

Hi,

DNA license is required if you will manage router via DNA controller or use in SD-WAN (vManage managed). Otherwise if possible (I mean can be ordered) buy without DNA subscription. At worst case, you will pay one time and no need to extend subscription.

For full routing you just need to buy device with Network Advantage stack, but not Network Essentials. Network licenses are perpetual and purchased one time when you buy.

HTH,

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.

HTH,

Hello
FYI- We run 8Ks  throughout our estates without DNA licence activation and all is good..

This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Patxi
Level 1
Level 1

So, I dont need to buy the DNA Advantage licencse subscription to configure BGP

Thanks for the answers!

hi,

just make sure to apply this in CLI and then save.

"network advantage" is perpetual software with full routing (i.e. BGP), security, voice, appx, etc.

https://www.cisco.com/c/m/en_us/products/software/sd-wan-routing-matrix.html?oid=otren019258

Router(config)#license boot level network-advantage addon dna-advantage
% use 'write' command to make license boot config take effect on next boot

Jahirul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We want to buy Cisco C8200L-1N-4T router without DNA subscription and with Network Advantages perpetual license. In the Cisco configurator tool (CCW) didn't found any option for network advantages or network essential. 

As we found Network advantages or essential license is bundle with DNA subscription. 

Kindly guide me on this. How can I add network advantages or essential license without DNA subscription in the router.

Ref: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/m/en_us/products/software/dna-software/dna-software-sd-wan-routing-matrix/pdf/Cisco_DNA_Software_SD-WAN_and_Routing_Matrices.pdf

@Jahirul wrote:
As we found Network advantages or essential license is bundle with DNA subscription. 

Get this, i.  e.  Network Advantage + DNA Essentials.

DNA essentials license is mandatory.  So get a 3 year DNA Essentials license and let it expire.  When it expires, nothing is going to happen.

If I didn't buy DNA essential or advantages license which feature will available in router?

Please share me a valid reference to check this. 

@Jahirul wrote:
If I didn't buy DNA essential or advantages license which feature will available in router?

DNA license is MANDATORY.  No one is going to sell any Network Essential/Advantage license without DNA license.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card