cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Cisco ASA 5510 support IPv6 /56 6rd delegated prefix from CenturyLink?

Sam Brynes
Level 1
Level 1

I have CenturyLink, which uses a 6rd IPv6 deployment where they hand out an IPv6 delegated prefix /56 block to me.

I'd like to break this /56 into multiple /64 blocks, and assign these to each of the ASA routed VLAN IPs, and advertise these in neighbor advertisements so that IPv6 clients on each VLAN can pick up the prefix and add their EUI-64 to the back of the IPv6 address to get their global unicast address.

Does the Cisco ASA 5510 support IPv6 6rd and the topology described above? I am running Cisco ASA 5510 release 9.1.7(32).

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ASA  code 9.X onwards supports IPv6 as per my knowledge.

you have configure as per the below guide : (if you having issue what is issue so we can help )

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/route_ipv6_neighbor.html#84352

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks Balaji.

Specifically, how can I configure the ASA to accept the 6rd prefix from CenturyLink and advertise multiple /64 prefixes using it?

I have some reference IOS config that does it, but it only works on Cisco IOS. I'd like to do the equivalent on an ASA. Here is the Cisco IOS config I have:

ipv6 general-prefix PREFIX-CENTURYLINK 6rd Tunnel1
ipv6 unicast-routing
ipv6 cef
ipv6 route 2602::/24 Tunnel1

interface Tunnel1
description CENTURYLINK IPV6 6RD TUNNEL
no ip address
ip mtu 1452
ip tcp adjust-mss 1432
ipv6 enable
ipv6 mtu 1432
ipv6 tcp adjust-mss 1412
tunnel source Dialer1
tunnel mode ipv6ip 6rd
tunnel path-mtu-discovery
tunnel 6rd prefix 2602::/24
tunnel 6rd br <BR-IP-ADDRESS>
exit

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.1
ipv6 enable
ipv6 address autoconfig
ipv6 address PREFIX-CENTURYLINK 0:0:0:1::/64 eui-64
ipv6 nd autoconfig prefix
ipv6 nd autoconfig default-route
exit

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.2
ipv6 enable
ipv6 address autoconfig
ipv6 address PREFIX-CENTURYLINK 0:0:0:2::/64 eui-64
exit

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.3
ipv6 enable
ipv6 address autoconfig
ipv6 address PREFIX-CENTURYLINK 0:0:0:3::/64 eui-64
exit

In the IOS config above, we're using the 6rd prefix from CenturyLink to build our IPv6 prefixes to send out in RA messages. I'm just wondering how we can do the same thing on an ASA?

jesse7Tzz
Level 1
Level 1

balaji.bandi, thanks for sharing. Sometimes it's not about configuration or any kind of adjustment, but all about hardware of a specific modem or router. If you will ever need to find the best reliable modem/router which is fully compatible with CenturyLink, I can share with you this article of centurylink modem comparison list, where author explains why you should choose the specific model, and what pros and cons do they have.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card