cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the BGP router-id need to be reachable?

Julian Ortiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

It was long time ago when I studied BGP, and these days I was doing a lab and got some issues related with the BGP router-id. I found this post:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/bgp-router-id-and-loopback/td-p/1611333

Herve says "The router-id must not even need to be an existing ip address of the router (as long as it remains a unique identifier of course) and must not need to be network-reachable."

If the router-id is not an existing IP address or reachable, how can the neighbors reach that BGP router for sending BGP updates to it?

Regards,

Julián

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Julián

In configuring BGP you configure a neighbor using a neighbor address. BGP uses the neighbor address to send updates and does not use router id to send updates. The neighbor address must be reachable but router id does not.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Julián

In configuring BGP you configure a neighbor using a neighbor address. BGP uses the neighbor address to send updates and does not use router id to send updates. The neighbor address must be reachable but router id does not.

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the clarification, now it is clear

Regards,

Julián

Julián

You are welcome. I am glad that my explanation was helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card