Views
Helpful
Replies

DSL HWIC Module on Cisco ISR4431/K9 Configuration

Imran Irshad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have added Cisco NIM-VAB-A  VDSL2/ADSL2+  module in ISR4431 router as backup for DSL line. existing connection is DIA 

could you please help me, how to configure NIM-VAB-A as backup line if 1st DIA fail ? 

Regards,

I.A 

14 Replies 14

Shawn Munster
Level 1
Level 1

controller VDSL 0/1/0
 operating mode adsl2+

!
interface ATM0/1/0 check this it could be ATM0/2/0 
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip flow ingress
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
!
interface ATM0/1/0.1 point-to-point check this could be ATM0/2/0.1
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip flow ingress
 pvc 8/35
  encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
  dialer pool-member 1

interface Dialer0
 description $FW_OUTSIDE$
 ip address negotiated
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip flow ingress
 ip nat outside
 ip virtual-reassembly in
 zone-member security out-zone
 encapsulation ppp
 dialer pool 1
 dialer-group 1
 ppp authentication chap pap callin
 ppp chap hostname user@userisp.com
 ppp chap password 7 PASSWORD
 ppp pap sent-username user@userisp.com password 7 PASSWORD

ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer0 overload

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0 200

Hi shawn,

Thanks for reply and posted configuration. Could you please tell me how to create ATM interface in Cisco IOS X ?

It is unable to accept on IOS X, it's showing as  Interface ATM-ACR 

Regards,

I.A

Hi Imran,

Please refer below link and download the controller configuration guide.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/sites/default/files/configuration_guide_to_vdsl2_and_adsl2plus_nim.pdf

Once the controller is up you will see ATM interface automatically as given by Shawn. Rest of the configuration is same.

HTH

-Amit

Hi Amit

Thanks for the link to the document, we do have that document but there is nothing in there to assist us. We are using a virtual template and are using a loopback address on our subinterface. Our link does come up and we can see authentication working but no traffic traverses across the network and we are unable to ping our ISP.

Our ADLS link works across our present ADSL card "WIC/VIC/HWIC 3", but when we install an upgraded router (ISR4331) with a NIB-VAB-A module and configure the appropiate settings, we run into the above problems.

The is no output from our debug cmds that indicates a problem

Hi TT,

Do you have the output of below debug (from ISR 4331) when you try to ping ISP?

debug ip packet detail

HTH

-Amit

Hi Amit

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I am unable to attend site to perfom any testing until next week. I will let you know the results when I do.

TT

I've never heard of using Virtual Templates with Loopback interfaces on xDSL before.  Can you send us your config?

It sounds a bit like PPP is completing but there is something quite odd with your IP settings...

HI

This is the config we are using. With our current setup, pvc is configured on ATM0/2/0 inteface, but with the new router we have had to create a sub interface as you can see below. The only difference between our current working config and this new one (below) is the creation of the subinterface.

Again PPP is completing  and the route to the ISP is installed, yet we cant ping it and no data traverses the link as shown from the debug at the bottom of this page.

interface ATM0/2/0
 description
 mtu 1458
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 load-interval 30
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 no atm enable-ilmi-trap
 hold-queue 224 in
!
interface ATM0/2/0.1 point-to-point
 ip unnumbered Loopback1
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no atm enable-ilmi-trap
 pvc 0/38
  vbr-nrt 512 512
  tx-limit 100
  encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template1
!
interface Virtual-Template1
 ip unnumbered Loopback1
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 load-interval 30
 no peer default ip address
  ppp chap hostname ******
 ppp chap password 7 *****

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 *****

Phase is UP
Vi1.1 IPCP: Protocol configured, start CP. state[Initial]
Vi1.1 IPCP: Event[OPEN] State[Initial to Vi1.1 IPCP: O CONFREQ [Starting] id 1 len 10
Vi1.1 IPCP:    Address **** (0x0306C0A814D7)
Vi1.1 IPCP: Event[UP] State[Starting to REQsent]
 Vi1.1 PPP: Process pending ncp packets
 Vi1.1 IPCP: Redirect packet to Vi1.1
Vi1.1 IPCP: I CONFREQ [REQsent] id 1 len 10
Vi1.1 IPCP:    Address **** (0x0306519017A5)
Vi1.1 IPCP: O CONFACK [REQsent] id 1 len 10
Vi1.1 IPCP:    Address ***** (0x0306519017A5)
Vi1.1 IPCP: Event[Receive ConfReq+] State[REQsent to ACKsent]
Vi1.1 IPCP: I CONFACK [ACKsent] id 1 len 10
Vi1.1 IPCP:    Address ****** (0x0306C0A814D7)
Vi1.1 IPCP: Event[Receive ConfAck] State[ACKsent to Open]
Vi1.1 IPCP: State is Open
Vi1.1 Added to neighbor route AVL tree: topoid 0, address ******
Vi1.1 IPCP: Install route to *******

It's a very odd config.

I'm genuinely curious why you're using a Loopback and Virtual-Template like this, as the way you have this set up is not how those are normally used.  Is there a reason you aren't using a Dialer interface and doing IP routing using that?

How does this config work for you?

interface ATM0/2/0
no atm ilmi-keepalive
no atm enable-ilmi-trap
hold-queue 224 in
!
interface ATM0/2/0.1 point-to-point
no atm enable-ilmi-trap
pvc 0/38
vbr-nrt 512 512
tx-limit 100
encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
dialer pool-member 1
!
interface Dialer0
ip address negotiated
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
load-interval 30
dialer pool 1
no peer default ip address
ppp chap hostname ******
ppp chap password 7 *****
ppp ipcp route default

(and remove your default route - the ppp ipcp route default will automagically insert one when the Dialer negotiates PPP)

Hi Reuben

Thank you for your quick reply. We are not using Dialer as we need this route permanently nailed up, and not all routers allow you to use the 'dialer persistent' command to do just that.  I know the new 4331 router which we are trying to install does not have that option. 

The dialer will stay permanently nailed up even without the dialer persistent command.  If it drops out you could just add an IP SLA or even a /32 static route that forcibly sends something out that link periodically (1 packet once per hour would probably be sufficient) to keep it up.

The bigger challenge for you to think about is how and under what conditions you're going to trigger a failover from the primary to the backup link.

That's good to know. This is our backup link, so I will try your suggestion and see what happens. Fingers crossed and thank you for your help, i'll let you know what happens

Hi Shaun

I read your reply as I am having the same problem. I am using the new NIM-VAB-A card and have configured it the same as above but using a virtual template rather than dialer, but it does not work. Do you have any advice, anything would be greatly appreceiated.

Thanks

TT

Hi TT,

Please refer below link and download the controller configuration guide.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/sites/default/files/configuration_guide_to_vdsl2_and_adsl2plus_nim.pdf

Once the controller is up you will see ATM interface automatically as given by Shawn. You can use either Virtual-Template or dialer but dialer is preferrble at clinet router.

When you say it is not working, you need to elaborate more. Like at which stage it is stuck.

HTH

-Amit

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card