Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual 7600/7604 MPLS & Aggregation Replacement Recommendation

TrivialPants
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two legacy routers which are still in use on my network. Both are 7604 model routers which have worked well, but it is time (and has been time) to go ahead & replace them as they are EOL and EOS for some time. I have several others just like these which have failed for some hardware reason. I have them configured as follows:

Router 1 - 7604 - Aggregation/MPLS

This router is connected to our MPLS/IGP back-bone and connects the attachment circuits on our side to the layer 3 7600 which actually hosts the IP addressing. The other end of the attachment circuits vary depending on the location of the customer on our network. We are using l2vpn pseudowires/xconnects.

Router 2 - 7604 - Layer 3 router

This router receives a static route for a few subnets and hands them off to the previously mentioned attachment circuits for customers that come in across the xconnect/pseudowires, or we just hand off on plain access ports or using /30 IP addressing in the allocated subnets. We have a few /26 or /25 ranges allocated and are then assigned to some interface vlans as gateways, etc. 

I was thinking this could be possible to replace with a few Nexus switches, especially for the port density, but I don't know about their compatibilty for performing l2vpn xconnect pseudowires. I know they have vxlan support, but I don't think that will be the same thing one-to-one. 

I have roughly 30 ports used between the two routers for the Attachment circuit handoffs to the Edge router that I will need to replicate on a new router. Or maybe could do the same thing, but using a bundle with sub-interfaces. 

Any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @TrivialPants ,

Router 1 ASR 9001 IOS XR

Router 2 Nexus 9300   NX OS

Hope to help

Giuseppe

JimWicks
Level 1
Level 1

It is certainly worth looking at NCS540 for the XConnect services and if you have a fairly small routing-table then it may also fit for your L3-edge requirements too.

Thanks Jim! We have investigated that a bit. Do you use these in your network? If so, I may want to pick your brain a bit on them for some specifics. Do you mind?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card