Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual-homed Internet via Edge router

giuseppe.mele
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we currently have two subnets (192.168.0.* for PCs/Servers and 192.168.3.* for VOIP phones) each of which is connected to the internet via it's own router to a different ISP. See Current Network Diagram attached.

Note that the connections between the Cisco RV042G router and the Sonicwall firewall are probably useless as the Voip phones don't go through the Sonicwall firewall.

Problem is when one ISP goes down either the phones don't work or the PCs lose their internet connectivity.

What I'd like to do is the following:

- Recover the Cisco RV042G dual wan modem by replacing it with a non dual wan router we already have (let's call it the Voip router).

- Configure the RV042G dual wan modem as an Edge router (with two subnets).

- Connect the ISP lines from the modems to the RV042G and then connect the RV042G to both the D-LINK and Voip routers (see Proposed Solution Network Diagram attached ).

Would the proposed solution above work?  If yes, is it the best solution?

An alternative solution would be to eliminate the D-Link router and configure the RV042G for dual wan operation with two subnets (see Alternate Solution Network Diagram attached).  

We are operating 15 workstation PCs and two servers on subnet (192.168.0.*). We have about 20 Voip phones with static IP addresses (192.168.3.*).

Unfortunately my experience in networking is extremely limited.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Giuseppe.

2 Replies 2

nagasheshu.2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Giuseppe,

Hope you are doing good!!

Can you please answer few questions to advice you further.

1. Can you please let me know how are these two internet links are being used? In a primary/secondary set up or VOIP through BELL and PC/Servers through Videotron?

2. Is sonic firewall a standalone firewall  or a cluster (pair of firewalls configured logically as single firewall)?

3. Should VOIP subnet have access to PC/Server subnet? if so, is it ok if its direct access or should it pass through firewall?

Thanks,

Sheshu.

Hi Sheshu,

thanks for taking an interest in my question.

Here is the info you requested:

1.  The ISP lines are being used separately.  The Bell line is used exclusively for VOIP and does not go through the Sonicwall Firewall.  The PC/Servers are using the Videotron line and they go through the firewall.

2. The Sonicwall is a single security appliance being used to protect the 192.168.0.* network.

3. The VOIP subnet 192.168.3.* does not need to have access to subnet 192.168.0.* and it does not need to go through the firewall either.  

One of the problems we have is that we're locked out of the Cisco RV042G since nobody has the password any more.  This router is being used for the VOIP subnet.  

In my proposed solution I'd like to configure a spare router we have (Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H) to handle the VOIP subnet.  This will allow me to reset the Cisco RV042G back to factory default setting so that I can then reconfigure this model as a dual wan with multiple subnets (Edge router).

Thanks,

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card