Replies

Dual isp and load balancing

susim
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all, 

As in the diagram attached 

Router R1 Connected to ISP A  using fiber optical cable 

Router R2 Connected to ISP B  using another fiber optical cable.

between R1 and R2 HSRP is running 

lets say  both ISP 's are giving 100 mb .

How can i acheive load balancing ?

Is there a way to bond  to aggregate up to 200 Mb? 
Thanks 

4 Replies 4

vvvvvbbb123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As per my knowledge, i dont think you can combine both with HSRP.

It would be better u use GLBP, as packet would reach both of the routers and Load sharing would happen (Not load balancing).

Regards,

VB

U need to put iBGP between R1 and R2 and use below config on both

!

R(config)#router bgp x

R(config-router)# maximum-paths eibgp 2

R(config-router)# bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax

!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

One possibility is changing your HSRP to mHSRP.  I.e. instead of just one virtual gateway, e.g. .1, you have two virtual gateways, e.g. .1 and .2.  Each router normally has one of the virtual gateways active, the other as standby.

Another possibility is to use OER or PfR between the two routers.  Unlike the mHSRP approach, which does static load balancing, OER/PfR performs dynamic load balancing.  (NB: both can be used.)

Don't believe there's a way to bond links between two or your routers, to two different providers.

rosaho
Level 3
Level 3

Posts in this discussion have been modified due to possible misconduct. Please refer to the CSC terms of use for more details. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card