cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic routing to determine link quality?

(This is not a hypothetical question)

I have recently been tasked with coming up with a solution for a unique problem we are having on our enterprise network. We have several data centers connected with two ISPs at each of their gateways (the gateway firewall is a Cisco ASA-5500 with IPsec to each other data center). One of the ISPs is a high throughput connection, but it suffers from severe packet loss in the day. At times this packet loss can get up to 35%. The other ISP is a much smaller ISP which provides about 20% of the first ISP's bandwidth, but with close to 100% reliability.

Some of the applications at these data centers require loss of no more than 10-15% in order to function. Is there a way we can set up an IGP dynamic routing between sites that can detect when a link is degraded beyond 10% and then re-route traffic from ISP 1 to ISP 2 until ISP 1 is more reliable? I was looking at EIGRP which has a "reliability" parameter, but it looks like the metric it uses for "reliability" is just the reliability of the interface, which only detects layer 1 and 2 errors on the directly connected interface ( This is what I understanding when reading the EIGRP white-paper, I am not sure if that is actually the case or not). 

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PfR

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card