cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eBGP or iBGP

Anthony.glidic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have one part of my network on my building on the other part on a datacenter.

I have a point to point link between the two sites. I know i must use BGP for redondancy but what BGP the eBPG or iBGP?

I attach a schema.

For me i must eBGP between the building/datacenter and the ISP but on the point to point link what are the best protocol?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

At first glance it appears you should use iBGP.  This will give you the ability to advertise the same netblocks to both ISP's in a fault tolerant environment.  If you use the same autonomous system number at both locations it will be iBGP.  Of course you will need an underlying IGP to make this work properly.

Keep in mind you will need to have all iBGP speakers in a full mesh; if not a route-reflector should be used.  Your topology is not complex enough to introduce confederations.

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

At first glance it appears you should use iBGP.  This will give you the ability to advertise the same netblocks to both ISP's in a fault tolerant environment.  If you use the same autonomous system number at both locations it will be iBGP.  Of course you will need an underlying IGP to make this work properly.

Keep in mind you will need to have all iBGP speakers in a full mesh; if not a route-reflector should be used.  Your topology is not complex enough to introduce confederations.

Chris

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card