Views
Helpful
Replies

EBGP Path manipulation ..

laxmicisco
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

is there any problem with the performance of any traffic if i will manipulate the download and upload traffic in a different path .??

I want that source 1.1.1.0/24 should go via ISP and come through via ISP -2 . Outgoing and incoming will be different for same subnet .

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is there any problem with the performance of any traffic if i will manipulate the download and upload traffic in a different path .??

No Problem i see here, as long as you have enough bandwidth to cater the traffic and resource availability to take the routes.(Since we do not know your device and environment)

I want that source 1.1.1.0/24 should go via ISP and come through via ISP -2 . Outgoing and incoming will be different for same subnet .

Yes this is possible as part of Traffic Engieering - changing the BGP Attributes.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

depending on who initiate traffic "to" and what is expected path of the return traffic "from" the same way, it may have an issue here. and on your topology,  I think it is called asymmetric routing but BGP have a fix for that: ip verify unicast source reachable-via , see https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipswitch/command/isw-cr-book/isw-i1.html#wp2069175508

Unicast RPF may be used on interfaces in which only one path allows packets from valid source networks (networks contained in the FIB). Unicast RPF may also be used in cases for which a router has multiple paths to a given network, as long as the valid networks are switched via the incoming interfaces. Packets for invalid networks will be dropped. For example, routers at the edge of the network of an Internet service provider (ISP) are likely to have symmetrical reverse paths. Unicast RPF may still be applicable in certain multi-homed situations, provided that optional Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) attributes such as weight and local preference are used to achieve symmetric routing.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card