Views
Helpful
Replies

ECC Error on Cisco Router

Lion_Heart
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Please does any one has a solution for this error as attached ?

The device is Cisco GSR 12416

Capture.JPG

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks something wrong, required replacement ?

But is this router booting correcting and working ? - if not replacement - Open a TAC case. (Cisco GSR 12416) - this mostly EOL - check with cisco TAC

some troubleshooting tips :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/12000-series-routers/12770-gsrlccrash.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

I used to sell these DRAM DIMMs. Usually, there are, generally speaking, two types of ECC errors, soft errors, and hard errors. Soft errors can usually be remedied by rebooting the device, a few times if necessary. A soft error would correct itself, if the error remains, your DRAM DIMM needs to be replaced.

You are dealing with an ancient device, obviously, and Cisco has ceased hardware support for your router in 2013. Which means you are on your own when finding replacement DRAM. There used to be a company called Memoryx.com, they sold about every DRAM possible, not sure if they are still around...

I have one extra DRAM & i replaced  it with the two others but the same  error message still appears.

If the DRAM is same speed with in line other it should work as expected, other option rebooting the device in maintenance window and see if that resolve. if not nothing much any one can offer services as this more of Physicla Failure issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

try and use just one DRAM module in Slot 0 (see link attached).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/12000/12016s/installation/guide/icg/hfricgpo.html

Odd. It opens right away when I click on it. Cut and paste the URL into your browser.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/12000/12016s/installation/guide/icg/hfricgpo.html

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Beyond what the other posters have already noted, you might try pulling and resetting your DRAM DIMMs and/or swap them.

apogeenet
Level 1
Level 1

I agree.  If these are third party advertised compatible, I would switch brands.  The other possibility is the line card itself has a bus or other error driving the ECC POST alarm.  These are 100% EoL/EoS and running EoS images with many significant vulnerabilities and software defects that will never be fixed, so you can get replacement parts such as supervisors from third-party resellers.  You simply do not know if what you get will be truly Cisco manufactured and/or have embedded malicious code such as root kits.  So, there are significant risks that should not be ignored. I never recommended going this route due to these risks.  That said, I know it's some companies only financially viable options.  If you go this route, I would immediately upgrade/replace the ROMMON, FPD, and IOS on the received boards.

Pete

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card