Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Effective Bandwidth Calculation

Hi everyone,

I am trying to select the appropiate equipment needed for two small branches with IPv6, one of them is having a 2 Mbps WAN Bandwidth and the other one is with 25 Mbps.

According to the router performance table (http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf) a Cisco Router 891 (which supports up to 51.20 Mbps) would be enough for both of them.

Am i right or am i just misunderstanding the related document?

Any further suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My response is not an insult to you or anyone in the same boat.  

The value of 51.20 is the TOTAL amount of bandwidth the appliance can do.  (The documentation was written by Marketing/Sales people who's sole objective in life is to sell.  So this means some numbers maybe correct but some facts are obscured, hidden, twisted, etc.)  So 51.20 Mbps is the SUM of the upload and download speed of the appliance.  The value of 51.20 Mbps also do not include encryption.  

This means that you take the HALF value of 51.20 Mbps and you'll get the realistic idea of 25.60 Mbps throughput (upload OR download) and without encryption.  If you want to run encryption then you take the value of 25.60 Mbps and, as a rule-of-thumb around here, half this value even further and you'll get 12.80 Mbps.

I hope this makes sense.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My response is not an insult to you or anyone in the same boat.  

The value of 51.20 is the TOTAL amount of bandwidth the appliance can do.  (The documentation was written by Marketing/Sales people who's sole objective in life is to sell.  So this means some numbers maybe correct but some facts are obscured, hidden, twisted, etc.)  So 51.20 Mbps is the SUM of the upload and download speed of the appliance.  The value of 51.20 Mbps also do not include encryption.  

This means that you take the HALF value of 51.20 Mbps and you'll get the realistic idea of 25.60 Mbps throughput (upload OR download) and without encryption.  If you want to run encryption then you take the value of 25.60 Mbps and, as a rule-of-thumb around here, half this value even further and you'll get 12.80 Mbps.

I hope this makes sense.

Hi Leo, thanks for your answer.

is this throughput calculated for each interface or for the full equipment?

is this throughput calculated for each interface or for the full equipment?

And that's another question you won't find in the Data Sheet.  The answer is the whole appliance.

Thank you for taking the time to rate our posts, Leonardo.  :)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You might find the attached document helpful.

Unfortunately, the attachment doesn't address IPv6 performance, but I would suspect it may be more demanding than IPv4.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card