cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP advertised routes on a 6500 MSFC

bbravo
Level 1
Level 1

Would all networks from configured Vlan interfaces on a 6500 MSFC be automatically advertised via EIGRP with all neighbors?

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Borman

I am not sure that I understand your question. Assuming that there are no distribute lists configured, EIGRP will advertise to all of its neighbors all the routes that it knows (including subnets/networks on local interfaces that match network statements). EIGRP will use the configured network statements to look for interfaces to include in EIGRP processing. Any interface that matches a network statement will be included in EIGRP and the subnet/network on the interface that matches the network statement will be added to the EIGRP table and will be advertised to neighbors.

I am not sure if your question is trying to get into things like secondary addressing. If my answer so far is not sufficient could you clarify your question?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Sure, I have a 6500 MSFC which has a network 172.21.1.0 configured and routes via the "int vlan 21" on the MSFC, EIGRP is running and I have another EIGRP neighbor router that needs to know about the 172.21.1.0 network, the problem is that the neighbors will only know about this route if I configure the network statement "network 172.21.1.0" under EIGRP on the 6500 MSFC, even though is an interface configured in the MSFC, if I remove the network statement then the other routers don't know about it, does this clarify my question? thanks again Rick.

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

All the networks configured on the Vlan interfaces will not be automatically adverstised in EIGRP.As the vlan interfaces are the connected interface either you have to include the vlan interface networks under the EIGRP process or reditribute the connected networks under the EIGRP process.

For example:

Interface vlan 1

ip add x.x.x.x c.c.c.c

interface vlan 2

ip add y.y.y.y c.c.c.c

Eigrp 100

network x.x.x.x a.a.a.a

network y.y.y.y a.a.a.a

Where a.a.a.a is the wild-card mask used with EIGRP

Or

EIGRP 100

redistribute connected metric K1 K2 K3 K4 K5

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Borman

Amit is quite right. EIGRP will not automatically advertise any interface network. You must have a network statement under EIGRP or you must redistribute connected under EIGRP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card