Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP distribute-list issue

ayokunles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have an issue, I have got a remote router that has got two links which terminate on the same Edge router (I know its not best practice but i couldn't avoid it). The remote router has two GRE tunnels to the Edge router.

I want to prevent a particular traffic from going through the primary link and i want to use EIGRP distribute-list to do it.  I can easily use a route-map but its going to make it complex.

I used a distribute list but it didn't work instead the traffic still passes through the primary link.

need help people. thanks

8 Replies 8

ciscoben2009
Level 1
Level 1

Do you want the traffic to use one tunnel over the other?

could you up the delay on one of the tunnels so eigrp picks the other tunnel as a primary

hope that helps

thanks

Ben

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

are you receiving the route over the tunnel interface ?

is the mask same as it the network shown when you do show ip route ?

if the route map works for you just use it no complexity at all i think route maps more scaleable than ACL only in terms of adding or deleting

Hi marwan,

Even when i applied the distribute list that particular route still comes in through the tunnel.

Yes the mast is the same.

I am looking at a wider scenario not just with one remote site but with other remote sites as well, I'm not sure if i know how to make it scalable.

Have you tried using offset lists in EIGRP??

an offset list was built to make a route(path) look worse (inbound or outbound), and a distribute list is primarily used to filter routes all together.

So the offset-list will help you make one route look better than the other without killing it.

HTH

Kishore

I've not really used the offset lists before.

can i really make a particular traffic to a remote branch pass through a specified path?

Yes, you can  That's what I mentioned when I said you make traffic prefer a specific path you want.

So lets say you have 10.1.1.1 on remote side and you want your hq router to use secondary link to get to that subnet

Then the config will be like below on remote router

Access-list 99 permit 10.1.1.1

Router eigrp 100

Offset-list 99 10

This will make the metric worse and the hq office will not prefer this via primary link. You get the idea?

If this has helped you then please rate and mark the question as answered

Regards,

Kishore

Hi Kishore,

This is the real scenario.

There is an email server at HQ.  The remote site has two links to HQ.

I want the remote side to communicate with the email through the secondary link.

The offset list would move all the traffic.

Can i use an extended access list with the offset list?

thanks

I am assuming you want the option to use the secondary link should the primary link goes down?  Is that correct?

One possible solution would be to used 2 static routes.  One route would use the link you specify then you have another with a metric to the second link.

example:

2 connections connected to fa0/0 and fa0/1

mail server IP 10.1.1.100

ip route 10.1.1.100 255.255.255.255 FastEthernet0/0

ip route 10.1.1.100 255.255.255.255 FastEthernet0/1 200

Static routes are preferred over EIGRP so these route would be in the routing table.

I know it is not ideal but would give you want you need in this scenerio.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card