cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Hello packets are inconsistent.

Daniel Smith
Level 1
Level 1

We have a DMVPN environment in which EIGRP neighbors are flapping. We first addressed this by adding 'ip eigrp bandwidth-percent 75' so that queued up packets would get out. This helped with that case, but flapping is still occuring. We next found out that about half of the remotes did not have 'eigrp stub connected' configured, so we did that yesterday, problem continues. DIgging in some more today, I ran 'debug eigrp packet hello' on a remote. I observed that the arrival timestamps of EIGRP hello's from the hub router were not at the default 5 seconds or close to it. More like 8-14 seconds. Sometimes I would see a bunch of debugged hellos in the log with nearly the same timestamp, but off by a few thousandths of a second. These don't necesarily precede an EIGRP reset, but on another stable DMVPN environment, the Hellos are quite consistent at 5 seconds, and there are no bu

1 Reply 1

Hello,

if your link is oversaturated, EIGRP traffic might experience delays...

Try and apply a simple QoS policy like the one below to the outgoing physical interfaces of both hub and spoke(s):

class-map PRIORITY_EIGRP
match protocol eigrp
!
policy-map QOS_OUT
class PRIORITY_EIGRP
bandwidth percent 5
class class-default
fair-queue
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
service-policy output QOS_OUT

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card